Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: FPC4NDS: first raw demo

FPC4NDS: first raw demo

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    The last time that we tried to get Nintendo to take Object Pascal via Free Pascal to their licensed consoles they "didn't see a benefit" for it.
    Just to clarify what Jason wrote, I actually wrote to Steve Okimot, Developer Relations Manager for Nintendo America, to find out if they would be interested in allowing Savage Software to supply "Third Party Tools" for the GBA, DS and possiblly the Wii and his response was...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Okimot
    We don't see a market for an alternative to C/C++ on Nintendo platforms. As a result, we are unable to approve your request for a Third Party Tools license.
    The idea was that if Legolas was up for it, we would try and put together an offical Pascal for "Nintendo platforms" development environment. This of course does not mean we can't, only that it would have been better if we had had Ninendo approval. Considering that their SDKs cost between $2,500 to $20,000 per platform and that we would probably be undercutting them by offering them for around $500 or less, you can sort of understand their reluctance, though they probably don't make loads of money on their dev kits.

You can check out the cost of their SDKs @ http://www.warioworld.com/apply/.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Quote Originally Posted by savage
    Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    The last time that we tried to get Nintendo to take Object Pascal via Free Pascal to their licensed consoles they "didn't see a benefit" for it.
    Just to clarify what Jason wrote, I actually wrote to Steve Okimot, Developer Relations Manager for Nintendo America, to find out if they would be interested in allowing Savage Software to supply "Third Party Tools" for the GBA, DS and possiblly the Wii and his response was...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Okimot
    We don't see a market for an alternative to C/C++ on Nintendo platforms. As a result, we are unable to approve your request for a Third Party Tools license.
    The idea was that if Legolas was up for it, we would try and put together an offical Pascal for "Nintendo platforms" development environment. This of course does not mean we can't, only that it would have been better if we had had Ninendo approval. Considering that their SDKs cost between $2,500 to $20,000 per platform and that we would probably be undercutting them by offering them for around $500 or less, you can sort of understand their reluctance, though they probably don't make loads of money on their dev kits.

You can check out the cost of their SDKs @ http://www.warioworld.com/apply/.
    It's a pity... :cry:
    Of course we could try to make a petition, but I fear that will be useless. Better could be to make something impressive, like a super fast/optimized demo or, at least, spread the world that fpc can be used to make games for nintendo consoles.

I know, it's a hopeless task, but we can try :rambo:
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Try to maintain the contact, for example send the guy new demos's etc regularily. There is a big difference between an individual that is working on his latest toy and huge community (movement?) like Free Pascal. Perhaps after some months of preparations they understand this is serious and deserves support.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I agree with Daniel. I mean, it's just business to them, right? If we can sell the concept to them then they'll bite and we're in business.

BTW, hows Florian doing on those commits? Esp. the GBA ones. Is the way clear for the addition of a NSD target yet? I'm sure it's more than possible to officially put it under the 'in development' category at this point.

You know... at this rate FPC4GBA is going to eventually become FPC4Nintendo (FPC4Wii?) soon.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

So any news?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I need to find where is the rtl call that corrupts the executable. I'm using no$gba debugger, but I really don't know where to start
    I have asked again some help to wintermute, but I haven't received an answer yet.
    And, of course, by taking for granted that my changes in the crt0.s are good.
    However, the compiler itself seems very good (and fast too!). It needs only some small fixes, like mapping mod and div calls to the nds bios routines.

Blog Entries

Ah excellent.

So what emulator can be considered the best for most of the featuring you'll need to test things out? Or I guess you'll be testing on actual hardware won't you?

Any plans for the first FPCl-made NDS demo?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

The best emulator of nds is no$gba.
    :thumbup: the most advanced emulator of nds
    :doh: the debugger is not free (15$).
    :doh: it lacks source level debugging (you can buy it for 1750$ :shock.

Another way to debug is to use the new GDB stub for Desmume emulator.
    :thumbup: free and open source
    :thumbup: it works with gdb/insight, so source level is allowed
    :doh: less advanced than no$gba
    :doh: at this time it's very unstable

However no plans for a demo yet

Blog Entries

Hmm... well in that case I think I might have something you can use.

It's a little demo I made just for fun some time ago using Delphi & DelphiX. Should be no problem porting it to FPC & GBA/NDS. Maybe you can use it as a GBA demo then enhance it further for the NDS.

It'll give me some idea of what I'd be dealing with should I eventually look at porting Garland to a handheld console.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Also it seems that from what you are saying about the debugging, Lazarus would need some specific modifications to work as a decent development platform for the GBA/NDS?

I sense another tutorial/guide down the road.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast