Quote Originally Posted by Grendelus
But if there is not a non-DirectX solution then I'll just have to forget about it.
Why?
Well...
Quote Originally Posted by WILL
I use OpenGL and SDL for my games and I plan on porting to Linux/Mac OS X so DirectInput is out of the question for me.
...I think that about sums it up.

As nice as FFB is (Joystick or gamepad, which in it's self is an interesting issue), I'd much prefer to make my game than spend all that time just making the gamepad/joystick vibrate. :? So unless it's readily available for me to use as a cross-platform library, I'll likely not be seeking it out.

But more on topic with your discussion; I think the main reason for Joystick and Gamepad FFB being so different is that with a joystick you can simulate flying a real plane or firing a gun where there is either mechanical forces or kickback based on the simulated device you are controlling. Where as with a gamepad, the simulation is somewhat lessened and you're focusing more on max control functioning than simulation.

So in short, my theory is that the two types of controllers have a different branch in function so different usage of FFB.