Quote Originally Posted by dmantione
a screensaver is just a normal program that runs full screen.
Except that you're not finished. A screensaver is a program that runs full screen after a set time interval of user-input inactivity. You need to find some way to monitor user-input activity, and when there is no such activity after the specified time, you can then start the full-screen program. On Linux the vast majority of screensaver developers let xscreensaver monitor user-input activity, and then simply interface their full screen program with xscreensaver.

So the task for Free Pascal developers on Linux is to either find out how to properly interface with xscreensaver (which nearly every Linux user uses), or create our own user-activity monitoring software and interface with that. The disadvantage with the latter method is that to use our screensaver, nearly every Linux user would have to disable their xscreensaver program, which I suspect they would be very loathe to do. Thus, I think it's more desirable to try the former method. That would require someone who is highly skilled in both C and Object Pascal.

I think you begin to see now why there are currently no Linux screensavers written in Free Pascal.