Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Run and develop Linux apps under Windows :)

Run and develop Linux apps under Windows :)

Install steps for andLinux PreBeta

Requirements

* Windows 2000/XP/2003 or higher
    * 128MB of free RAM (64MB possible, by editing settings_static.txt)
    * 4GB available hard drive space.

Note
    It was either during the install or the first time starting andLinux, that I had to allow a few of the new programs through my firewall (ZoneAlarm).

First time installation

* Run the self extracting 7zip and extract to your desired location. This will create a folder named andLinuxPreBeta off of this location. You may now rename the andLinux folder if desired.
    * Run the run_to_install.bat file by double clicking on it.
    o A small Windows command window will appear and should vanish after a few seconds. This will install the needed Windows drivers.
    o You may receive a Continue Anyway prompt because the WinTap driver isn't Microsoft certified. You will need to click this.
    + If the Window stays, check to see if the title bar has the word Finished in it. If so, you may close the window and continue to the next step.
    * Run the startup.bat to start andLinux.

Please note that andLinux will gather all needed information about your system during startup so there should not be any additional configuration needed.

Starting

* Enter your andLinux folder and double click startup.bat to run
    o A window will appear labeled andServer (CoLinux). This window represents the andLinux backend.
    o When the sound system starts, you will hear a few sounds to confirm its startup.
    o Once andLinux is completely running, an application launcher panel will appear at the top of your monitor.
    + This window means that andLinux is now fully loaded.
    + You may select an application to launch (Console, FireFox, Synaptic, Write, etc.) or add your own.
    # Please add suggestions for running andLinux to the discussion section.

Known Issues http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/AndLinux#Known_Issues incase you are having problems.

I hope this helps
    cheers,
    Paul.

PS I extracted the andLinux 7Zip file to the root folder of one of my drives; I didn't use the desktop.

cheers,
    Paul.

Hi Will, did I manage to help you?

cheers,
    Paul.

Blog Entries

Hey Paul. Sorry for not getting back to this thread until now.

I've sort of given up on andLinux in favor of VMWare running Debian Linux. Sorry to say it, but even though I did eventually get it working, it was just way too sluggish and consuming to be attractive as a solution for me.

I also wasn't able to get Lazarus installed on it either. :?

In VMWare however, I got farther than I ever had when I ran ONLY Debian on my laptop ages ago. [size=9px](probably due to the excellent improvement work done to the Debian packages)[/size] Right now I've got a disk image with the latest version of Lazarus (0.9.20) fully installed and waiting for me to setup JEDI-SDL.

With a bit of luck or just some tinkering, I'll have a Linux port of Garland's Quest compiled and packaged soon enough. [size=9px]*crosses fingers*[/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Hey Paul. Sorry for not getting back to this thread until now.

I've sort of given up on andLinux in favor of VMWare running Debian Linux. Sorry to say it, but even though I did eventually get it working, it was just way too sluggish and consuming to be attractive as a solution for me.

I also wasn't able to get Lazarus installed on it either. :?

In VMWare however, I got farther than I ever had when I ran ONLY Debian on my laptop ages ago. [size=9px](probably due to the excellent improvement work done to the Debian packages)[/size] Right now I've got a disk image with the latest version of Lazarus (0.9.20) fully installed and waiting for me to setup JEDI-SDL.

With a bit of luck or just some tinkering, I'll have a Linux port of Garland's Quest compiled and packaged soon enough. [size=9px]*crosses fingers*[/size]
    LOL! :lol:

It is funny you should mention VMware...I was having troubles with andLinux locking up AND being sluggish so I have also gone to trying the free VMware player and a Ubuntu VMware appliance I downloaded.

It seems very responsive and is fun to play with Ubuntu :-)

I am having a bit of trouble setting up the network so I can transfer stuff between Windows and the virtual machine though :-)

cheers,
    Paul.

Well, I'll chime in and say I managed to get VMWare up and running with Debian Linux before WILL did . I'm busy building out a standard Appliance with Debian, Lazarus, SDL, and LUA installed. Soon as I get enough time to complete the files, and can free up enough web space, I'll upload my Appliance for anyone to use.

BTW: Out of curiosity, what instructions did you use Paul? Will and I both used the alternate installation via Alien and dpkg.

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    Well, I'll chime in and say I managed to get VMWare up and running with Debian Linux before WILL did . I'm busy building out a standard Appliance with Debian, Lazarus, SDL, and LUA installed. Soon as I get enough time to complete the files, and can free up enough web space, I'll upload my Appliance for anyone to use.

BTW: Out of curiosity, what instructions did you use Paul? Will and I both used the alternate installation via Alien and dpkg.
    I haven't installed Lazarus, ect. under the Ubuntu appliance yet, but under andLinux I used alien to convert files to Debian format so I could use the dpkg to install them.

cheers,
    Paul.

What performance do you get for 3d games? I make simple program (rotating cube + materials + diffuse/ambient light) and I get 5fps - 12fps. glxgears runs about 100fps - 120fps.

Is there some tweeking that will give beter performance?

You only get better performance if you have hardware accelerated OpenGL. Wether that is possible within WMWare I don't know. You can check wether your OpenGL is accelerated with the "glxinfo" command.

Well... that is the problem. glxinfo returns this:
    name of display: :0.0
    X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 144 (GLX)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 3 (X_GLXCreateContext)
    Serial number of failed request: 16
    Current serial number in output stream: 17
    but glxgears runs just fine so context can be created.

andLinux uses xming X server for Windows and it doesn't accelerate OpenGL, and doesn't support X extensions for changing resolution, showing and hidnig mouse, etc... so... VMWare is better solution for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast