Thread: Cabal 2D shootem up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cabal 2D shootem up

Hi all,

Here is a small project that I am working on. This is a simple game that I find it quite additive. This started of as a delphiX program but I converted it to use DanjetX. I added a number of improvements and it is playable. I saw this concept somewhere a number of years ago and thought I could do something similar.

I got the graphics from http://www.lostgarden.com. There are quite a few nice things available there.

Feedback would be nice. I will release code if there is any interest. I need to tidy up a few things first though.

Program requires DirectX 9.0 to be installed.

www.orangepeel.co.nz/cabal/Cabal.zip

hmm, I cannot seem to find a way to either attach images or link them in.

=====

Some will find the controls annoying. However, the imprecise control of the mouse is what I feel works really well for this game.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Cabal 2D shootem up

Looks quite good. Repair img tags, because they don't show your screenshots.

Cabal 2D shootem up

Quite entertaining game. Controls were a bit confusing at start but I got used to it.
    Are there any new enemy types in higher levels of game?
    Vampyre Imaging Library
    Earth Under Fire (PGD Big Boss 3rd place)
    Domains Of Chaos (PGD Multiplexity 5th place)

Cabal 2D shootem up

Excellent little game!

I didn't make it past level 4 yet though, but i'll give it another try later on.

It looks a bit like robotron, except you dont have to rescue people, but instead shoot lots and lots. Which actually is not a bad thing at all.

Three things I noticed,..
    A) the tripple laser not only has 3 bullets but can fire quicker too. I'm not sure if that is intentionally done or not, though.

B) when I die I have to push a button to continue. However, because it also gets trickered by an arrow key, I rarely see the end screen.

C) The key configuration is a bit odd, but not so much that it gets in the way of playing. That is with the exception of the spacebar. I have to move my hand too far to make the bomb really benecifial. I'd recommend using one of the mouse buttons instead, as they appear not to be used right now.

Add a few more baddies, a few more effects and you have a great little game in your hands!

Cabal 2D shootem up

Thanks for the response

The arrow keys are also mapped to AWSD which actually what I use.

On the higher levels there are more nasty badies that have forceshields that must be taken out first.

Yes the different weapons have different rates of fire. If you were quick with downloading you would have got my first attempt - the current build has a timer so that each special weapon can onlybe used 15 seconds and then you revert back to the pea shooter.

I have a few more ideas that I will implement.

I will make an install kit and include source code.

Cabal 2D shootem up

Update

I have put up a new (final) version. This new version includes some improvements plus it has an install kit. The package also includes the source code. I would be interested to know if anyone can compile the code- just to double check.

The full package can be downloaded from

http://www.orangepeel.co.nz/cabal/Cabal.zip

Cabal 2D shootem up

I compiled Cabal in Delphi 2006 and it works well. Only there was some unit RegistryFunctions in uses clause which I don't have, so I commented out all calls to functions from this unit.
    Vampyre Imaging Library
    Earth Under Fire (PGD Big Boss 3rd place)
    Domains Of Chaos (PGD Multiplexity 5th place)

Cabal 2D shootem up

HI Galfar,

Thanks for that. I have updated the source to fix that problem and uploaded teh new zip file.