Thread: General questions about GLScene (speed, sprites, collision)

General questions about GLScene (speed, sprites, collision)

I am currently informing myself about alternatives to Omega and the like, and GLScene seems to include those features that I am interested. However, I was wondering: how good is the collision detection system included? Can it detect collisions between different objects types? What about with sprites? Can it detect rotated or scaled sprites with transparent (non-existent pixels?). How fast is GLScene on different computers?

And I was wondering if there are any GUI libraries/extensions already out for GLScene - making a GUI from scratch in a graphic renderer was always my least favorite work. ops:

Thank you for your comments!

The basic collision detection mechanism can work on cube, sphere and freeform IIRC.

I don't know much about sprites.

GUI doesn't work in linux yet so I don't know much about that either.

GLScene has ODE integrated so you might get some better collision detection with that. There's also a DCE dynamic engine for collisions and movement with gravity and a few nifty tricks.
    Feel the power of Open Source.
    <br />Feel the power of Free Pascal.

if you're going to use glscene use it with newton dynamics glscene plugin!!! it is much better solution.
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Re: General questions about GLScene (speed, sprites, collisi

Quote Originally Posted by splattergnome
    I am currently informing myself about alternatives to Omega and the like, and GLScene seems to include those features that I am interested. However, I was wondering: how good is the collision detection system included? Can it detect collisions between different objects types? What about with sprites?
    Look at functions in that unit:
    http://glscene.cvs.sourceforge.net/g...16&view=markup

116 function FastCheckPointVsPoint(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    117 function FastCheckPointVsSphere(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    118 function FastCheckPointVsEllipsoid(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    119 function FastCheckPointVsCube(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    120 function FastCheckSphereVsPoint(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    121 function FastCheckSphereVsSphere(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    122 function FastCheckSphereVsEllipsoid(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    123 function FastCheckSphereVsCube(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    124 function FastCheckEllipsoidVsPoint(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    125 function FastCheckEllipsoidVsSphere(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    126 function FastCheckEllipsoidVsEllipsoid(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    127 function FastCheckEllipsoidVsCube(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    128 function FastCheckCubeVsPoint(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    129 function FastCheckCubeVsSphere(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    130 function FastCheckCubeVsEllipsoid(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    131 function FastCheckCubeVsCube(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;
    132 function FastCheckCubeVsFace(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean; //experimental
    133 function FastCheckFaceVsCube(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean; //experimental
    134 function FastCheckFaceVsFace(obj1, obj2 : TGLBaseSceneObject) : Boolean;

About sprites. What is sprites ? Points ? So it easy.
    About scale. Yes, but i remember about some troubles some times ago. Just test it.

I dont know about the sprites part but the DCE managers & physics are state-of-the-art and customizable. You have to play a little bit here and there, but the results are most satisfying.
    - Scarlet Rain -