Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WildTangent CEO Expresses Concerns over Gaming on Vista

WildTangent CEO Expresses Concerns over Gaming on Vista

Correct.

Even the admin does not have "admin" rights all the time.

If you want to write to "c:\program files\MyGame\My Game data.txt" then the user will either get a message saying your program is about to access this file and requires access. Or it will not in fact write to that file but in

c:\users\your user name\...\My Game data.txt which gets kind of confusing when you are trying to work out why the data hasn't been updated.

I don't have Vista installed anymore. So I can't elaborate. All I know for sure is that I changed my project so that any files that need to be changed (e.g. database file) are stored in "my Documents\My Project" folder

I had problems with registry keys in local machine because they contained copy protection information. If a user entered the unlock codes they weren't being written to local machine anymore but to "local user" registry key. That means that information was not available to other users of the computer. So that for other users on the system the product had not infact been unlocked at all.

That was a right confusing mess.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

to the people saying microsoft will fail with Vista:

I think you are all forgetting that most, if not nearly all of the windows sales are through OEM channels and not the retail market. Vista will be a huge success because companies like dell, hp, etc will sell it with their new machines

And I hope everybody news that "C:\Uses\User Name\" should not be assumed, but queried via SHGetSpecialFolderLocation() function. :roll:
    Cos it's default location changed between XP and Vista...
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ugh. I just can't see how this is going to work at all.

Does that mean if I have a large 10mb data file for my game that I what to modify at run time, each user will have to install a copy of this file in their individual user folder? Christ.

There is "All users" folder. Still not sure is it possible to freely access it from any program...
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

From what my friend told me of the beta version, it's a bunch of crap (popups, restrictions) until you turn off a simple checkbox in the control panel, and everything goes back to normal...

But I dont know if they've changed things since then or what...
    My site: DelphiTuts.com (coming soon)...

Download Font Studio 4.21 here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogen
    From what my friend told me of the beta version, it's a bunch of crap (popups, restrictions) until you turn off a simple checkbox in the control panel, and everything goes back to normal...
    In the short time i had it I didn't manage to find it :roll:
    Peregrinus, expectavi pedes meos in cymbalis
    Nullus norvegicorum sole urinat

I'm confused. I downloaded and installed a beta version last night RC2 build 5744 (off a torrent site).

My programs all install and run correctly, creating and modifying files within the c:\program files\myprog folder. I didn't get any security warnings or anything,

Is this just because it's an old beta?

I've been following the thread on gamedev for a bit and the more I read about it (through comments and links such as the ones clootie posted) the more I get the feeling that it really isn't as bad as the article lets us believe it is.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast