I'm looking to implement a basic enemy into my game (with some sort of AI).

I have found myself a basic image of a slime enemy (most people familiar with RPG's have probably come across this enemy in many games although slightly different in appearance for the most part).

I am currently re-colouring, animating, shadowing and attempting to add other adjustments and details to it.

Some of you have pretty much seen the basic idea behind the game (you gotta collect or smash some blocks, heck it could be part of castle or anything but it's still the same idea).

And the enemies I want to add will just try to make this task a little more annoying and/or difficult .

So the slime enemy itself (I might have a small and a large version, but same AI), but it will be a very basic enemy (perhaps replaced later but I need something to build from and test to begin with).

I'm not even sure if what I'm planning could even be considered an AI, but I basically want to build something for it now, like perhaps it will follow a specific path (e.g. going so far left and then going so far right, repeat) etc.

I'm not looking for any material on AI in general but some discussion, ideas and how to implement from a theoretical or psuedo-code point of view that may be fitting for this little guy .