Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DelphiX and Windows Vista?!

DelphiX and Windows Vista?!

Has anybody experimented with beta versions of Vista yet? Will our DelphiX games work okay do you think?

Exactly how compatible is DelphiX nowadays? Should I be looking for different components now for maximum compatibility?

You may wish to try Asphyre, which is very powerful and easy to use. Even for a relative newbie like me.

Version 4 is in development and currently a few betas are in the hands of specific testers; mine included. You'll like what you see in the next version.

I use omega. However I needed to disable the sound to let it run. although, the frame rate was very low.
    Tested on Vista RC1...
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

I have a commericial project consisting of some 30 delphix programs that works fine with Windows Vista.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

No offence, but damot asked whether delphix is performing properly under Windows Vista. A fairly good question, since a lot of games have been made in the past, and quite a few may still be a work in progress. I too am curious to know if they will still work as they do now under XP.

How come 2 out of three 3 replies talk about other wrappers?! Surely, if damot wanted to know, he would have asked about them instead.... :?

That's right Traveler, I really don't want to have to change so much code.

I took a brief look at Asphyre about a year ago but I'm concerned about compatiblity. I know DelphiX has been very good over the years for me, I'm worried if I moved over to Asphyre it might not work on a significant number of machines.

That and I'm only interested in basic 2D operations. I want the smooth tile operations in DelphiX.

I have actually tested my program on a beta version of Vista about 3 months ago, and it worked fine. But I'm wondering if I was just lucky as I've often found DelphiX can cause problems with some graphics cards.

That's really something I've never understood. I thought the whole point of DirectX was it would never matter about the cards, but hey, I guess that's Microsoft for you.

So what would people say is the MOST compatible variant of DelphiX?

I've always been confused by UndelphiX/DelphiX.

Quote Originally Posted by czar
    I have a commericial project consisting of some 30 delphix programs that works fine with Windows Vista.
    That's good news indeed. ut have you had chance to try it on many different machines with different graphics cards yet?

May I ask precisely what version of DelphiX you are using please?

It was the basic undelphix - i.e before hardware support was added. We only tried it on a single machine. However, the killer is not the graphics it is access to folders and registry.

For example, you cannot store info in inside an ini file and then store then ini file in the c:\program files area. In fact any data that needs to be written cannot be stored in that area. You cannot write to local machine registry keys.

Those were the two main problems we had.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Are you saying you can't write to your own files in your installation folder? Surely that can't be right.

Your game can't write to \Program Files\ folder after installation. It should write files to custom User folder. And installation is supposed to happen under Administrator login.
    Actually this is no different to WinXP, but under XP almost all users have administrator rights, so... :lol:
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast