Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DelphiX and Windows Vista?!

DelphiX and Windows Vista?!

Once instalation is complete you cannot write data to the directory if that directory is inside program files. If you do then vista asks the user to provide password and the changes files dont actually go into the directory inside "program files" instead they are secretly put into a "users" directory. I found that a bit confusing initially.
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Quote Originally Posted by Clootie
    Your game can't write to \Program Files\ folder after installation. It should write files to custom User folder. And installation is supposed to happen under Administrator login.
    Actually this is no different to WinXP, but under XP almost all users have administrator rights, so... :lol:
    So... it's like Linux then?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    So... it's like Linux then?
    Almost. Cos Vista still has to be compatible with a lot of old "bad" applications. So, by default, after installation user still has admin rights, but... this is "special" admin, so each time program request something that needs admin rights - Vista pops-up dialog asking user - if he allows program to do this or not. So, at this point behaviour looks really complicated. :roll:
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Ouch!, sounds like a nightmare if a program frequently asks to open a file for write access in a "Secured" place.. I can see a lot of people getting confused/frustrated/psychotic about that.

That is really bad. Knowing that, unless there are specific work arounds, I think I'll refuse to support Vista for anything I do. Until there is a decent way to avoid it.

It just means your software has to be designed differently. Put data files that need changing into the "documents" section. Only use current user registry keys. Put registry info pertaining to all into local_machine during installation.

I think what may happen is that you will see developers avoiding putting their programs into "program files" and instead they will go back to the old ways of storing the lot in their own directory e.g. "c:\games\my game"

I think Vista may end up biting M$ in the bum.

Having said that I have a few friends who use Vista on a daily basis and they are total converts. Then again they develop in .Net
    The views expressed on this programme are bloody good ones. - Fred Dagg

Pity, but you can't write to X:\Games\ directory too... :roll:
    You can write files only to "My documents" folder (or to TEMPorary dir)!
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Having said that I have a few friends who use Vista on a daily basis and they are total converts. Then again they develop in .Net
    I can foresee that the entire software community may split over this, the devout .Net-ists and the "others" like us. And that's just on windoze. :?

It just means your software has to be designed differently. Put data files that need changing into the "documents" section. Only use current user registry keys. Put registry info pertaining to all into local_machine during installation.

I think what may happen is that you will see developers avoiding putting their programs into "program files" and instead they will go back to the old ways of storing the lot in their own directory e.g. "c:\games\my game"
    That means a lot of structural changes. Even logs will have to be relocated. That'd be a total mess, what about updating the game's core files? Would they have to enter a password even then? That's just not fair.

I think Vista may end up biting M$ in the bum.
    I've already taken a good long look at Fedora Core 6, and I like it.

Blog Entries

Made a post, but decided to post it in the somewhat more relevant thread here.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

MS should have got rid of the registry years ago..I cannot believe they decided to use it and to keep it in vista for future development. I hate it. I always use ini when writing my own apps and I never install anyway, I prefer standalone EXE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast