Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Annual PGD Competition due to start Feb 1st...

3rd Annual PGD Competition due to start Feb 1st...

Quote Originally Posted by Huehnerschaender
    I am aiming one of the first places!
    Aren't we all

I'm currently working on the platform genre of my game. However, currently there's really isn't much to show, besides a couple blocks that make out the map and 2 sprites (one controlled by the player and one by the cpu)

Plan is to complete 65% of the AI rules, this weekend. Then next week (evenings) is reserved for graphics and maps. On saturday (24th) I want to add win/lose conditions and put it all together.

Not a huge list, but still enough work to be very busy.
    Fortunately, after this stage, the fun parts starts, meaning more content. I'll probably be able to put up some more interesting videos/screenshots by then, too.

Blog Entries

Here is a post that I hope anyone feeling a little down about their entry this year will read: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...?p=32328#32328

I am glad that most of you guys are still with us these competitions are meant to be fun so lets keep having it! :thumbup:
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi all,

PLEASE DON'T THROW IN THE TOWEL

I'm getting worried that a whole bunch of you are going to drop out of the competition with all this talk of no time etc... that would be a huge shame, not only for you guys (remember whats at stake... some NICE prizes) but also for the competition.

If you can't make a stage deadline, thats no reason to quit. Every team that has submitted at least one entry for any stage upto and including the final deadline will be scored at the end (just a note though... registrations will be closed at the stage 5 deadline). So if you need to sacrifice some stage points to be able to finish then do it. You may not have time now, but you may be able to make time in later stages.

I'd also like to point out that whilst content can give a game the wow factor, the emphasis this year is really all about the bringing together of two (or more) genres. A badly done mix with great content may not score as highly as an excellent mix with not so great content.

Just bear all this in mind before you throw in the towel. I know how demanding the competition can be... last year was a struggle for me as I had the hassle of switching jobs in the middle of it.

So come on all of ya... stick with it. I want to have some entries to judge at the end of it :-D
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

At the moment I would be satisfied if my current entry was judged. I'm really not very motivated right now, cause I have no idea where to work at next.

I'm not out yet (I think I can do something before June) but real life beats me hard last month. Now I'm busy looking for a new home and I can't access to my PC since I have no space in my present house.
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by AthenaOfDelphi
    I'd also like to point out that whilst content can give a game the wow factor, the emphasis this year is really all about the bringing together of two (or more) genres. A badly done mix with great content may not score as highly as an excellent mix with not so great content.
    Well, I can always use just boxes and spheres of different sizes and colors to fill up the content quota for the game, but I'm not so sure if anyone's gonna be that excited to try it out though.
    If you develop an idiot proof system, the nature develops better idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez
    I'm not out yet (I think I can do something before June) but real life beats me hard last month. Now I'm busy looking for a new home and I can't access to my PC since I have no space in my present house.
    I'd be glad if I HAD a real life. xD

Blog Entries

Some content doesn't need to be overly complex. Has anyone ever played Darwinia? They used some very simple models in their game.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Well 4 days left for stage 3, hows everyone doing?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Badly..

I've had Zero time for coding.. has it really gone so fast? I thought we had another week :?

I've not fixed any of the bugs from Stage2 yet.. I'll be doing some work tonight thought.. It doesn't seem like long ago when I uploaded my Stage2 submission... GULP! Sorting out the house has eaten all my time.

OK, (splashes face with cold water) Speed coding time tonight, this is going to be tight..

I've not even implemented any of the platform stuff yet.. I'm going to have to use placeholder art for this stage I think.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast