Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 PGD "Multiplexity" Game Programming Compo

2007 PGD "Multiplexity" Game Programming Compo

I may have an idea for a nice Puzzle - Maze game.. or Puzzle - Platform

What category would Boulderdash fall under? Or Rainbow Islands?

Great contest idea!

Good idea of more than one genre. Nice to see innovative ideas like this in a contest.

Bad luck no judge is able to run Linux or MacOS X. I thought we programmer types would be a little more avant-garde or radical when it came to our operating systems.

Multiple stages, deal-breaker for me, never liked them, but will not comment further on this issue.

Sensible decisions on the 3rd party stuff.

Nice prizes.

Another exciting competition, looking forward to the entries, I hope there will be plenty of them.
    [size=10px]"In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite." -- Paul Dirac[/size]

I'd not really thought about the stages idea, but I can see why it's done.

Sometimes, people have to be forced into taking a structured approach to their project.. I mean, I normally just dive in and code without too much thought to the design process (although I do design the game initially) This often leads to massive scope creep and unfinished projects. I know this, yet I still do it. So by building this into the rules, they ensure that more projects get finished because they are easier for the developers to manage.

Goal #3 might be tricky to some people who've included the second genre as an integral part of their game initially.. e.g. someone writing a Tetris based platform shooter would find it hard to include the falling tetris blocks as a seperate element if they were the platforms the player was jumping on, while shooting other platforms to move them... actually, that's not a bad idea :lol:

Hi Guys,
    I know that the competition idea is quite challenging, but this year we wanted something that would push the envelope and as I mentioned would turn heads at the IGF! Having a competition that was just like all the others out there would not necessarily turn heads at the IGF.

I hope this does not discourage too many people from submiting an entry.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

One thing thats not clear to me is how the genres need to relate to one another. Should they both be active at the same time (like the suggested "Tetris based platform shooter ") or can they lead into one another such as having a Strategy map where you decide where to attack and then another screen where you control a fighter jet through a action shooter screen (ie two completely different screens).
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

About Game Design Document

I've find a question. I started to write the design document with Open Office, but which document format can we use? ODT, DOC, HTM, XML, plain text...?

I think that it should be (X)HTML since all computers can read and edit them.
    No signature provided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cragwolf
    Bad luck no judge is able to run Linux or MacOS X. I thought we programmer types would be a little more avant-garde or radical when it came to our operating systems.
    I have Linux and am trying to get a MacOS X box from work, but as we mentioned in the rules, you can submit a video clip of your stuff working on Linux/MacOS X as long as we have an exe for Win32 to test it for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by cragwolf
    Multiple stages, deal-breaker for me, never liked them, but will not comment further on this issue.
    I know some people are turned off by multi-stages, but we are trying to encourage structured analysis/design and implementation. There is nothing stopping you from implementing menus, for example, in stage one, the only thing is that it won't get scored until later one. We are not saying only X number of features need to be done at this stage. It is a guide of what minimum stuff should be be done at each stage. If you can do more than the minimum, then great it will give you more time to polish things off in the later stages. I hope that does not cause confusion.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Re: About Game Design Document

Quote Originally Posted by ?ëu?±o Mart??nez
    I've find a question. I started to write the design document with Open Office, but which document format can we use? ODT, DOC, HTM, XML, plain text...?

I think that it should be (X)HTML since all computers can read and edit them.
    I think HTML should be the universal standard and these can be posted on a blog about your progress if necessary.

Is a grand theft auto-like game a multiplexity? Like running around, racing around, flying around?

EDIT:

# Shooter

* First-Person Shooter (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Unreal)
    # Vehicular Combat (Spy Hunter, Wacky Wheels)
    So you can not put a first person shooter in combination with vehicles except when you are racing from point to point?
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast