Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiplexity: Dungeon Looter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Multiplexity: Dungeon Looter

This is my entry for the competition.

Genres used: scroll shooter and economic simulation

Description:
    Your specialty is dungeons which are scattered around the Town. They are full of gems and treasures which you can collect and sell. The gold can be spent on a useful items such as big bag for treasures, etc.
    Note that you will not go far without torches because you cannot see without the light.

Maybe some day you will have enough money to buy something magical and you will be able to go really deep into dungeon. But the rumors say that there are monsters which not afraid the light...

The game will have a two-dimensional gameplay and use a side view perspective.

I have a question to judges: can this game qualify as a platformer if player character will be able to jump?
    What are the differences between a scroll shooter and a platformer?
    There will be no shooting at first.

Sounds like a Gauntlet/Diablo style game.

The light feature could be a good idea though, there was a game back in the day called Cadaver, it was on the Amiga.. an Isometric 3D dungeon game where you cast light and it affected the dungeon.. I think there were light based puzzles.. different coloured light activated different switches.. That would add a puzzle element to the dungeon crawler RPG genre.

If you're making light a feature, you could have different types of light affecting the creatures too.. some creatures are repelled by different types of light, others are destroyed by types of light, some are attracted by certain types yet destroyed by others. Think "Pitch Black" the movie...

Not afraid of the Dark are you?

Blog Entries

Also what are your plans for the economics portion of your game? You don't seem to mention anything in your post. Just buying and selling items wouldn't be enough, there would need to be a fair bit more to it to qualify.

Does the adventurer have a business on the side as well?

Wikipedia Articles:

Economic Simulation Game
    Platform Game
    You mention...
    Scrolling Shooter
    ...but I think instead you mean...
    Run and gun

[size=9px]Don't forget to submit your entries through the competition system![/size]
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    Sounds like a Gauntlet/Diablo style game.
    Hmm... I don't think so.

Your ideas with light puzzles are interesting but I'll use the light feature for economics. And for the atmosphere of course.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Also what are your plans for the economics portion of your game? You don't seem to mention anything in your post. Just buying and selling items wouldn't be enough, there would need to be a fair bit more to it to qualify.

Does the adventurer have a business on the side as well?
    My description is too short. The design document I've submitted has a bit more detail.
    But you've got the point. The adventurer will have a business (specialty=profession) of collecting gems (treasures are planned to be relatively rare).
    The economics is one of the main aspects of the game. There are expenses (e.g. torchs) and income (mainly the gems).

Economic Simulation Game
    Platform Game
    You mention...
    Scrolling Shooter
    ...but I think instead you mean...
    Run and gun
    Thanks for these links.
    Seems that you are right - the game will be a little more like Run and Gun than a Scroll Shooter. I'll update my design doc.

Perhaps I didn't explain my Diablo & Gauntlet comparison too well. I meant in the exploration and finding the deeper levels and collecting the treasure kind of way... perhaps not in the traditional hack & slash kindof way.

I'll be very interested to see how you get on with this.

Dlooteer bug

Hi just found this place and it is a cool one!

just would like to know if there is an update for dungeon looter that get rid off of the shop bug:

When i try to buy a teleporter in shop the torch line disappear and then it is impossible to buy torch again.

A cool game anyway, fun to play.

Hope to read you soon.
    Thanks.

Polaris, it's not a bug it's just a lack of scroll bars in list controls. You can scroll lists by pressing left mouse button and moving the mouse up and down.
    Glad to see that you liked the game.

Blog Entries

I think you have a small fan-base.

Any plans to release a post-competition version?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I'd certainly like to see a post compo version.

There will be at least one new open-source version of DL as an example for my engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast