Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting MIDI to some mod format

Converting MIDI to some mod format

After various MIDI playback snafus have given me one headache too many, I'm about ready to give up on the format. Is there any way to convert old MIDI files to MOD (or S3M, IT, etc) format? I've found two programs so far that claim to be able to, but they both have problems.
    Mid2XM just plain doesn't work. I follow the instructions in the helpfile and end up with errors, not XM files.
    PTMID actually creates working MOD files, but the conversion leaves much to be desired. (Here's a before-and-after I created of a fairly complex song, to test it.) Does anyone know of a program--or a library in C, C++ or Pascal--that can reliably convert MIDI songs to a modular format?

Mason

IIRC MODPlug Tracker can convert midi to mod format
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

I'm a bit leery of MPT. Last time I tried doing something like that (admittedly several years and probably several versions ago) it was a long, overly complicated process requiring tons of trial-and-error that usually produced bad results. But I'll check it out. Maybe it's improved since then.

EDIT: Just tried it, and it has gotten much better, but there are still a few issues. Try opening the MIDI file in the sample zip and you'll see. The piano gets turned into some sort of maraca, and a lot of notes that are supposed to be held get cut off very quickly instead.

Mason

Yes, you will need to edit the converted mod, but it should only be matter of replacing some instruments
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

2 things.
    1) Replacing instruments isn't that big an issue, but the improper note cutoffs is.
    2) If at all possible, I'd like a way to automate this, so it has to work right the first time.

Mason

You may try soundclub: http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/scwin/index.html. The dos version can load midi.

Besides why convert to .mod at max .mod files support 8 tracks.

E.g. take a look at: http://www.roland.com/products/en/VSC-MP1/index.html

[edit]
    i forgot: http://www.polyhedric.com/software/mn/
    [/edit]
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

It doesn't necessarily have to be MOD format. Any module-type music will do. IT or S3M for example.

Mason

My own BeRoTracker has a near perfect MIDI import. You can convert MIDIs to MOD/S3M/XM/IT/BRT with it.

I just looked it up, and its conversion is very impressive. I was *very* pleasantly surprised, especially as I'd taken my test case (the one song that's managed to break ModPlug Tracker's conversion feature so far) off my server, so you had nothing to compare it against except your own faith in your product.

Only one problem. I can't find the promised export feature. I go to "save as," and the only option I can find is your proprietary .brt format, which my music player unfortunately doesn't understand. How do I save this converted MIDI to a more established mod format like IT or XM?

EDIT: I found a song that will break it. The second instrument--not sure what it's called; the echo-y one that's not a piano--never fades out, leading to horrible dissonances. (I checked it in MPT too, and it broke it also, for a different reason. Things fade out too quickly.)

Mason

I hope these screenshot helps you

And in peace1.mid there are the note off events ordered wrongly, and because the piano instrument has a sustain loop, it fades never outk because the note off events are ordered in the original MIDI file in a incorrect way. Make sure that the note off events are correct ordered :-) ) P.S. Try disable "Full MOD convert" in the MIDI convert dialog, then converts BRT it to a module with MIDI events to the MIDIMAPPER out device.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast