2007 PGD Annual: Stage 4 Results Posted

The scores for stage 4 have been posted: Results Page

1 week left for stage 5!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thanks for posting!

I wonder though how its possible that no points (except from Clootie) have been awarded for the menu. There's been a menu in my entry since the second stage. :?

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    Thanks for posting!

I wonder though how its possible that no points (except from Clootie) have been awarded for the menu. There's been a menu in my entry since the second stage. :?
    Traveler, does your menu system fulfill the requirements of letting you check high scores, start a new game and exit?

Start & end game yes, scores no. But unless I misunderstand the required goals, having a highscore section is only needed when goal 2 is also completed, which isn't in my case (unfortunately).

Have a basic menu system that allows you to start a new game, check high scores (if Goal 2 was completed) and exit (only for PC platforms!)

I agree with Traveler and I scored 20 of 30 points for my menu and I don't have a high score table.
    It seems to me the scores are a bit inconsistent.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

I'm not entirly happy that the high score part was even in the rules as it's forcing elements into the game design, I'd never really planned on putting a high score table into the game as they really don't interest me.. in fact, I feel that sometimes they're bloody annoying, I want to start a new game and I've got to fill my name in for the high score table. It's an extra step, a small point, but I think it's valid.

I've lost quite a few marks on this (what I believe to be a tiny feature) and the rest of the menu mechanics are there.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, Rules are rules, but I would have preferred if the high score table thing was an optional bonus at the end, not a mandatory component of the menu system because in my opinion, it's certainly not important to the enjoyment of the game. That's what the game mechanics are for.

I am kindof kicking myself as it would have only taken me an hour or so to implement.

"High scores" are giving you only 5 points, isn't it?
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Score Update from Athena

I have just re-evaluated my scores and comments taking into account the Stage 4 - Goal 3 wording that you guys have been working to and am pleased to say that everyone scored the points for having a menu.

The situation arose simply because of the wording we have next to the score entry fields. For stage 4, goal 3, it reads...

Have a basic menu system that allows you to start a new game, check high scores and exit.
    According to that, I was right not to award points to those who originally didn't score for goal 3. But based on the wording you guys have been working to, you all scored.

Its nothing more than a simple miscommunication.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

No Clootie, 10 points per judge as I understand it for having a Menu and High Score.

I understand the Judge's scoring, it's just a little frustrating as it's the 1st stage where I've not covered everything. My bad really.
    Like I said, I'm not complaining.. it'll teach me not to be cocky eh?

Stage 4 (5 weeks): Complete Your Game Concept (Mar 25th - Apr 28th)

Goal 1: Explain clearly in your included Readme.txt how you have completed your gameplay concept and how all elements of the genres come together. -- 15 Points
    Goal 2: Add a scoring system of some kind. Score does not have to be a number. -- 5 Points
    Goal 3: Have a basic menu system that allows you to start a new game, check high scores (if Goal 2 was completed) and exit (only for PC platforms!) -- 10 Points
    It's always nice to study system and workaround it when necessary. According to wording: scoring system is just 5 points and requires menu system to be implemented (which is 10 points by itself!)
    There are only 10 types of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast