Quote Originally Posted by dmantione
There are more people have that commented on the forums both in positive as in negative way. Technically the system is one of the most advanced you can find; it wouldn't make sense to drop it, but there is quite a bit you can do with the UI, i.e. http://www.virtualmin.com/forums/ has the same engine, but a totally different presentation.

I prefer the categorized Q&A over for example a threaded or UBB styled UI like PGD has though. If somebody has ideas, they are welcome though.
Categorized Q&A is good for nothing if there is no age sorting, and no answers. I asked something a long, long time ago and was never answered. The wiki-esque forum is horrible to anyone not already used to using it. I won't pretend to like phpBB, I loathe it in fact, but there is a distinct difference. The Virtualmin forum is superior to the FPC one as it still retains some similarities with a forum. My only advice to you is to try this forum, punBB, if you like the style -- if I wanted to use FPC's forum I'd sooner go to a newsgroup.

This isn't meant to be insulting, but to give a hint as to why I'm just not interested in learning FPC if I feel the support structure largely isn't there. Going through 3 ]extremely[/i] disappointed. After about 3 times of just me asking, plus the 8 other requests by other people, CodeGear still has not said what their plan for the turbo line is.

I think I like FPC's operator overloading better, if I can overload the implicit/explicit operators then I love FPC's operator overloading, and the ability to use the -=/*= style assignments like C. But it isn't enough to get me to come over yet. Lazarus creates bloated applications, and FPC's smallest Hello World application turns into a 230kb app. I wrote a tokenizer and basic program/scripter based off console input in Delphi and it compiled to about 42kb -- no comparison there.

But, again, considering the future direction and subsequent descent of Delphi, Lazarus and FPC may become our only hope. I hate selling my hope on one compiler -- that's what has happened with Delphi and look where it is going now.