Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Several Questions: Documentation; New event?

Several Questions: Documentation; New event?

The same format was used by quite a number of the teams, and some place I have another thread about the particular template that I created
    You made a template? May I be so rude to ask you if I may use it? And if so, where can I get it?

Hopefully, some time soon I'll have time to start on articles 2 and 3. So stay tuned for more useless information about documentation and marketing practices
    I can't wait, since I find this very usefull information.
    Most people underestimate such things and start a project with only an idea in their mind, people like me...
    But I want to do it professional now, so any help/article will be helpfull.

As reaction on the event (sorry read over it), it is really really really stupid that I didn't notice the name "PGD Annual"...
    So sorry for asking such a stupid question.

No I do not want to do any competition other than the PGD competitions.
    I will be patient and will wait for the new submissions.

Now I came up with some other questions, may I?

#1. Is there also a Internal Document, with i.e. documents for when what should be done without releasing anything to the press?

#2. In a big company (I work for a tiny company) how do you test your code? For example you are doing the physics of an engine, and someone else does the graphics. You can not test your part without the other part of the engine, how do you solve such things?

Thanks for answering all my questions, I know I can be a pain in the ass...
    But I just want as much information as possible, thanks in advance.

[edit, just read the posts after my last post...]
    Sorry, I really didn't mean it as an attack, and I am sorry if I hurt anyone with it.
    And I have edited my previous post, so maybe it is more clear now what I meant?

JSoftware, may I use your documents?
    [/edit]

Again, sorry, maybe I should have said it with other words...
    "What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."

Oh I found your template.

Which is more professional?
    The spongebob thingie or the rezolver?

Because, I was talking about the Rezolver documentation all the time...
    "What we cannot speak about we must pass over in silence."

Template download (the one I posted for this years compo):http://www.eonclash.com/DocTemplates...(Template).doc

As for documents and everything else. As I said in my article (some place), yes for our clients we build out multiple documents each with a very specific purpose. Some examples:

Requirements Matrix - Excel spreadsheet listing ALL of the requirements and alternate requirements along with approval status and signoff person.
    Requirements Document - A MS Word Doc file that references the above document, this gives greater detail to the requirements and how they should be implemented.
    Storyboard - If needed this is a simple picture that shows the basic high level flow of the product along with the creative concepts to help the client decide what concept/workflow they desire.
    Design Document - Pretty much built from the first two above and as described, contains the actual design implementation features as well as incorporates the storyboard if one was built. This document also contains "Wire frames" and process/workflows to show how data, users, and everything else will interact and move through the system.
    Test Document - Build from the Design Document and Requirements to say how the product will be tested and what platforms it will be tested on. This document gives step by step instructions with pass/fail conditions that any tester can take and test the product from.

This list can get bigger if we have User Experience Architects involved as they will build their documentation as well.

I don't build all of the documents above for all projects, in fact we don't even use all sections of each document above for all projects. We custom tailor the documents and the contents to the client/project need. Multiples of each document are created for projects that contain multiple products when necessary.

In a large corporate environment the "Press Documents" are none of the above. There are very specialized individuals that take the above and get the information ready for release. Some of the documents above (Design Document as an example) never get released to the client either.

Multiple integration points within a large product will be spelled out VERY clearly. Yes, specific test scenarios are built out for those integration points so that they may be tested separate and integrated. We may also create very specialized test applications or suites when needed.

I think that that is probably enough of information overload for a bit. If you chew it over you will see that at the corporate level you have to be flexible, but at the same time, you have to be able to over document .

Blog Entries

I guess I should add that once I have some more time I'll be adding a list of game plans/design docs for this year's teams at the bottom of the details page of this year's competition.

It should make for a somewhat interesting, if not useful, source of information.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12