Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    actaully if you guys are used to the older Turbo Pascal style of doing graphics then you'll probably feel more at home with JEDI-SDL.

You're basically doing your graphics component-less anyhow... jedi-sdl.pascalgamedevelopment.com to check it out. It'll work just fine on any system and you use it just as you did back in the old TP7 days.

It has a ton of examples so you can run a working set of code that you can tinker with and see how to do X,Y,Z yourself. Plus if you really get stuck, I have a tutorial series that is in the Articles section of the site here that uses pure JEDI-SDL to show beginners how to make a Scorched Earth type game.

Self promotion not so much intended but it's something else you guys can check out too. Help give you an idea of what you want to be aiming for in the more graphical games.
    JEDI-SDL is vry good but it has too many things that i will not use and will overweight my app size with dlls =/ (thats not prety bad, but evade it is better)

I will have a look at asphyre right now.
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by arthurprs
    actaully if you guys are used to the older Turbo Pascal style of doing graphics then you'll probably feel more at home with JEDI-SDL.

You're basically doing your graphics component-less anyhow... jedi-sdl.pascalgamedevelopment.com to check it out. It'll work just fine on any system and you use it just as you did back in the old TP7 days.

It has a ton of examples so you can run a working set of code that you can tinker with and see how to do X,Y,Z yourself. Plus if you really get stuck, I have a tutorial series that is in the Articles section of the site here that uses pure JEDI-SDL to show beginners how to make a Scorched Earth type game.

Self promotion not so much intended but it's something else you guys can check out too. Help give you an idea of what you want to be aiming for in the more graphical games.
    JEDI-SDL is vry good but it has too many things that i will not use and will overweight my app size with dlls =/ (thats not prety bad, but evade it is better)

I will have a look at asphyre right now.
    -.- i think JEDI-SDL will be the choice
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Blog Entries

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Thats not nessissary. You can take any part of SDL you want to use and be rid of the rest.

In fact you can have games that require only SDL.dll. ie. My tutorial game 'Scorch 2D'. However the extra libraries do help make the rest of your otherwise bloated content less... bloated.

ie. SDL_image allows you use PNG files rather than BMP. Which has far better compression.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Thats not nessissary. You can take any part of SDL you want to use and be rid of the rest.

In fact you can have games that require only SDL.dll. ie. My tutorial game 'Scorch 2D'. However the extra libraries do help make the rest of your otherwise bloated content less... bloated.

ie. SDL_image allows you use PNG files rather than BMP. Which has far better compression.
    WoW i have an idea, put the bmp as resource in a dll and use PECompact that uses lzma to compress things :? i think it gonna work i will test in the morning

but for sure it will have a highter load time but nothing huge
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Shit! where are the dlls

they didn't come in the package =/

and i found only sdl.dll on libsdl.com site

Help...
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

I'm unsure if there are any newer versions, but you can get the dll's from the JEDI-SDL v0.5 version. (it seems to have other demos too)

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Shit! where are the dlls
    they didn't come in the package =/
    and i found only sdl.dll on libsdl.com site
    Help...
    Ok, here is the really bad answer to your question:
    Download my entry for this years PGD from http://www.eonclash.com/JumpStart/v4/PGD07/
    Unzip it and copy the DLL's (minus the lua ones) from the bin or root folder (depends on the version you download). You will have most if not all of the SDL DLL's.

The proper answer is:
    Look around on the libsdl site, the downloads are there for each component, it just takes forever to find the ones you need. You can also try using your favorite search engine to find the DLL's you need.

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

SDL: http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php
    SDL_Mixer: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_mixer/
    SDL_Image: http://www.libsdl.org/projects/SDL_image/

All SDL Libraries are in the Libraries section of the LibSDL.org site (Note, use the .org URL not the .com URL.. the .com is a completely different site )

The search facility on the LibSDL site is quite good.
    I would advise against looking around the net for versions of these DLL's especially if you're going to ship them to other people, unless you know that the DLL in question is genuine, you shouldn't use it. JDarling's DLL's will be fine, but you should use the ones on the SDL site.

JEDI-SDL only requires you to include sdl.dll, all other dll's are optional.
    I always include mixer and image though in my work, although you could use OpenAL instead of Mixer without too much trouble I believe.

Blog Entries

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    I'm unsure if there are any newer versions, but you can get the dll's from the JEDI-SDL v0.5 version. (it seems to have other demos too)
    I was just about to suggest the very same thing. In fact, JEDI-SDL used to include the very version of the SDL DLLs it supported. Not sure why that trend stopped, I'll have to ask him.

But I think Jason nailed it. If you want the most current ones get them from the libSDL site it's self.

btw, I've posted a WIP of the big grand master list here: Pascal Dev Guides
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123