Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurprs
    Coments ?
    Yes, 3 infact.

1, try to reduce your screenshot size. I´ve modified your post so it will fit better and not mess up the forum layout. People can still click on the screenshot if they want to see the whole thing.

2. I think you should elaborate on your post. I'm not sure if its me, but I haven't got a clue what it is you're trying to say here.

3. Related to 2 as I'm unsure what you want to tell us with the code, but iirc, surface.canvas should not be used unless you want to use texts, lines or other shapes. For everything else use surface.draw or even surface.blitDraw.
    sorry for 1, 2 ops:

=O this forum has html enabled, sorry i haven't seen

3: i will try and post results
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Code:
    [pascal]
    DXImageList1.Items[0].Draw(DXDraw1.Surface,0,0,0);
    DXDraw1.Flip;
    [/pascal]

6ms are good
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Blog Entries

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Just a little tip for ya. GDI sucks! Don't use it.

At least if you want A) performance and B) nice clean graphics.

Shortly after the release of Windows 95. Game makers couldn't make too many games 'for Windows' because of the GDI issues. It was just way too slow and not designed for high end graphics at all!

So Microsoft co-created DirectX. Actually I think they took someone else's work and made it their own, remember the beginnings of MS-DOS anyone? Anyhow back on topic. The purpose of DirectX was to get past all the Windows API junk and get right down into using the graphics hardware, much like DirectX and OpenGL does today.

I don't think Vista will change much of this, but you shouldn't be using the GDI at all if you are expecting any kind of performance or nice graphics. It's just not made for that.

Glad to see you've found some comfort with DelphiX though.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Even though my previous reply on this was way off, I have learned something. I have learned that DanjetX exists.

Graphics programming is new to me and I have always used the GDI for drawing. DanjetX seems to be what I might have been looking for.

I previously thought that 60 FPS was overkill (TV and Movies are at 24 - 30) but I see in the DanjetX samples I am running at 132 FPS. Although setting it to a max of 30 didn't change anything.

So, even though I was wrong I am glad I replied because I may not have read the other replies otherwise.

Thanks.
    Who is this "General Failure" and why is he reading my hard disk?
    <br />
    <br /><A href="http://ps.craigedgar.com" target="_blank">Picture Slots - A Unique Slot Machine! Create your own Reels using your own Digital Photographs.</A>

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by captainproton
    Even though my previous reply on this was way off, I have learned something. I have learned that DanjetX exists.

Graphics programming is new to me and I have always used the GDI for drawing. DanjetX seems to be what I might have been looking for.

I previously thought that 60 FPS was overkill (TV and Movies are at 24 - 30) but I see in the DanjetX samples I am running at 132 FPS. Although setting it to a max of 30 didn't change anything.

So, even though I was wrong I am glad I replied because I may not have read the other replies otherwise.

Thanks.
    Some game types are possible to run at 30fps, some others not, some others its impossible
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Just a little tip for ya. GDI sucks! Don't use it.

At least if you want A) performance and B) nice clean graphics.

Shortly after the release of Windows 95. Game makers couldn't make too many games 'for Windows' because of the GDI issues. It was just way too slow and not designed for high end graphics at all!

So Microsoft co-created DirectX. Actually I think they took someone else's work and made it their own, remember the beginnings of MS-DOS anyone? Anyhow back on topic. The purpose of DirectX was to get past all the Windows API junk and get right down into using the graphics hardware, much like DirectX and OpenGL does today.

I don't think Vista will change much of this, but you shouldn't be using the GDI at all if you are expecting any kind of performance or nice graphics. It's just not made for that.

Glad to see you've found some comfort with DelphiX though.
    I don't liked some things of delphix, its so "default" there is another lib that deserve a try ?

Just to remember my game its a mine sweeper but so the mouse moves vry fast throught the blocks and in every block under the mouse it shows diferently so thats why i need a fast refresh.

PS: sorry again my bad english
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Will is right about that GDI sucks when it comes to making games, but sometimes you just don't have an option. Besides I think many og us made some of our first game using GDI. I know I did 8 years ago.

@captainproton
    I encourage you to make use of either DirectX or OpenGL. Though I've never tried DanJetX out I've heard it's good. Some othe DirectX alternatives to DanJetX would be Omega, Asphyre or (Un)DelphiX.
    Imagine I've written something clever here inspiring you to make something awesome. If that happens give me credits

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

Quote Originally Posted by pstudio
    Will is right about that GDI sucks when it comes to making games, but sometimes you just don't have an option. Besides I think many og us made some of our first game using GDI. I know I did 8 years ago.

@captainproton
    I encourage you to make use of either DirectX or OpenGL. Though I've never tried DanJetX out I've heard it's good. Some othe DirectX alternatives to DanJetX would be Omega, Asphyre or (Un)DelphiX.
    For now i don't see any advantage for me move to delphix :?
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Blog Entries

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

You guys should look into screen refresh rates, vsync and timers and timing techniques for your games.

You can have any amount of FPS you wish depending on the hardware you are running [size=9px](almost all run at about 60Hz or more --some 70 some 75 or a lot more, but they carry a price tag)[/size] and the setting/flexibility of your game timer.

DelphiX has a TDXTimer component [size=9px](which is a lot like the TTimer that is standard VCL)[/size] that allows you to set the rate at which it will run your main game loop. [size=9px](this is common usage for a (Un)DelphiX based game)[/size]

Your timing is the very foundation of your game's main structure, without it you get very bad performance when trying to manage the overall speed of your game. There are several tricks that different experienced game programmers use, try a few different things and stick to what works best for your game and gives you consistency over various speeds of processors/systems.

I have a feeling that your hangups over DelphiX might disappear once you get a better understanding of the TDXTimer component. It's not the best, but it'll do the trick.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Too many 2d/3d Libs !!!

actaully if you guys are used to the older Turbo Pascal style of doing graphics then you'll probably feel more at home with JEDI-SDL.

You're basically doing your graphics component-less anyhow... jedi-sdl.pascalgamedevelopment.com to check it out. It'll work just fine on any system and you use it just as you did back in the old TP7 days.

It has a ton of examples so you can run a working set of code that you can tinker with and see how to do X,Y,Z yourself. Plus if you really get stuck, I have a tutorial series that is in the Articles section of the site here that uses pure JEDI-SDL to show beginners how to make a Scorched Earth type game.

Self promotion not so much intended but it's something else you guys can check out too. Help give you an idea of what you want to be aiming for in the more graphical games.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast