Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reintroduction to CodeGear

Blog Entries

Reintroduction to CodeGear

<center><object><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Hap3NPMKoTE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object></center>
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Maybe too little to late. I hope not, but that's my gut instinct.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

I must admit, I agree with Dom. I've already invested in a copy of Chrome.

Blog Entries

Well at least the added exposure will help show that Delphi and Object Pascal are alive and kicking still.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Unfortunately, without clearing up misconceptions about the language, it does nothing. Half the world who are inexperienced with OBJECT Pascal still believe it to be a solely procedural language. The other forty percent or so are just arrogant and insulting about it. Without clearing this up, and giving FPC/Lazarus a better interface, Object Pascal will make little headway outside of its existing adopters. It's a pretty bleak outlook in my opinion.

Note that many "new style" languages are procedural or have their OOP features seldomly used. I.e. PHP, LUA, Python. Not everyone wants to learn complicated OOP frameworks, these languages are popular because they are easy to learn and have simple constructions to get the task done.

I consider being suitable for both procedural and OOP programming a strong point of Pascal.

Blog Entries

A video on the advantages of working with Object Pascal would come in handy if someone was so inclined to make one.

Perhaps someone from here should think about how to put one together? Make the case that OP is great for such things.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

On news items like this, SOME text would be nice... especially for those of us who browse with plugins disabled - getting a big empty box with NOTHING to describe what's in there is... annoying.
    The accessibility of a website from time to time must be refreshed with the blood of designers and owners. It is its natural manure

I second that!
    If you develop an idiot proof system, the nature develops better idiots.

dmantione, the problem is that Object Pascal is perceived to be the same language as what existed with Turbo Pascal, by and large. Unless you've used it, you'd think it's some archaic procedural-only language.

I agree, one of Pascal's great strengths is in its ability to handle both procedural and OOP programming well.

But without the misconceptions and predilections against Object Pascal being cleared up, most people are just left wondering: So? They rank us with LISP for popularity and "fringe" usefulness.

If you want to create and/or sell a compiler you really have to support and promote the language for it to succeed. FreePascal's struggles, by and large, stem from the stigma, the interface, and the code incompatibilities. CodeGear's wont be any less.

Thus, I say the outlook of the language is bleak without some serious correction to the stigma and some real promotion of the power of Object Pascal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast