Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reintroduction to CodeGear

Reintroduction to CodeGear

I agree about a single technology for the IDE. At the very minimum if you in the delphi installer deselect support for refactoring then dotnet should not be needed, but that's not the case today.

Delphi for PHP is a product that CodeGear bought and it is developed outside of codegear and do not take resources from the normal Delphi product, as far as I know.
    ZGameEditor - Develop 64kb games for Windows.
    Thrust for Vectrex - ROM-file and 6809 source code.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifepower
    No, this wasn't what I said. I simply pointed out that I'd like to see the whole IDE using only one platform, not several simultaneously. If I develop purely Win32 applications, I might not want to install .NET just to run the compiler on my machine. Of course, it's one of these situations where you have no other choice than "to obey", but it's still an inconvenience. Most importantly, because as it was already mentioned, the majority of IDE doesn't need .NET Framework.

For instance, I never had Java runtimes installed for past 4 years and it would be the same for .NET, if it wasn't for BDS 2005 / Turbo Delphi.
    Sorry about that, I did indeed misunderstand you. Yes, I agree completely! Pick one and stick with it. This halfwitted manner of partially .NET, partially J#, and PARTIALLY native code is a really bad method of design. Sure, I'd expect folks to write plugins to some programs in many languages ... but its own developers? :?

Delphi for PHP is a bad idea. I've said it from day one, there's no such thing as WYSIWYG editing of HTML (at least reliably so) without absolute positioning, and they do all the worst things you could do. I use phpDesigner Pro as my "IDE" and it's great. Why would I ever pay hundreds for something I have to clean up after? Dreamweaver mark 3, times pi, coming right up! :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kosek
    What I want are better compilers for Pascal, better stability, and better affordability. But also, to extend and grow the development community you cannot expect sales without some effort towards curing the negative view of the language as a whole.
    I agree, CodeGear has to excel in compilers and development tools. I see that they are working on this, but after Kylix 3 there was a some years with very little useful Delphi compiler/IDE progress. All this they now have to catch up with. I am hopeful that the two next Delphi versions on the roadmap will be a good and a great edition.

Currently the biggest problem for Delphi is in the parent company Borland, where a boardroom of golf playing fools, have been squandering away the positive income generated from Delphi and other CodeGear tools, while wasting money on the ALM pie-in-the-sky product range. The best thing for Delphi and CodeGear would be to split from Borland, however this might not be so easy.

Sorry about that, I did indeed misunderstand you. Yes, I agree completely! Pick one and stick with it. This halfwitted manner of partially .NET, partially J#, and PARTIALLY native code is a really bad method of design.
    Just for the record: J# is dot-net.

Delphi for PHP is a bad idea.
    I do not think it is a bad product, but the name is all wrong. I wish they would have called it Acropolis or some other classic Greek name. People would have understood the relation to Delphi without expecting it to be the same.

I am perfectly aware that J# is .NET ... but it is also Java. One mixture of elements is one thing, but .NET and Java, plus semi-native .NET, plus standard VCL native code is a bad combination. This was my point. I'm aware of the intricacies.

And I think Delphi for PHP is a bad product, just in my own personal opinion. So long as it is restricted to poor implementations and style designs like they use, and so long as it is tied to their own javascript library I see it as a bad idea. Aptana Studio anyone? It might be a heavy, code/interpretation heavy, Java-powered IDE but at least it doesn't force you to use a given library.

Borland do seem to have a thing with java as even their new sql database is written in java, they also have a .net version for it (i gues that one is written in j#) I would have like the product if it were native pascal and alse be compileable for the win32 target.
    I don't know how strong their roots with delphi (for win32) are as on their homepage delphi for win32 is mentioned last an the first product mentioned is an java plugin for eclipse?
    To me it seems codegear is betting on to many horses at once. Though as propably mentioned above i am missing horses for the linux target. Following .net borland could release a product supporting mono.net .
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Dreaming does not hurt
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

I'm not so worried about teh future of Delphi/object Pascal.

It's an old discussion. Pascal hasn't been in mainstream from the beginning. I feel very comfortable with this, I love it. Sometimes, outsiders score big points.

But.. watching this video, is there any reaction from the Codegear/delphi developers towards the freepascal/lazarus project? Are they fine with it, or are they not interested. I mean, it is a real threat towards the Delphi project, right?. And it's free. I guess they will neglect i,t as it will steal profit from them.
    Marmin^.Style

Guys you all can improve the next Delphi version.

Just fill out this survey:

http://infopoll.net/live/surveys/s31894.htm

I've been using Lazarus and FPC to port a commercial Delphi game related application to Mac OS X and Linux and it has been relatively painless.

Not everything is working 100% yet, but the same codebase compiles and runs on both Mac OS X and Linux using the LCL and I think we are at about 85% finished.

Lazarus is not perfect, but it is starting to give Delphi a real run for it's money. It annihilates Delphi in the portability stakes, and since it's open source, it will just be a matter of time before it matches Delphi in the userbility stakes.

Take a look, you may be pleasantly surprised.
    <br /><br />There are a lot of people who are dead while they are still alive. I want to be alive until the day I die.<br />-= Paulo Coelho =-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123