Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast paced 3d shooter possible with glScene?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fast paced 3d shooter possible with glScene?

Hi there,

read some entries and wonder if it is possible to get a serious shooter running with glScene? Some ppl reported speed issues and that's why I am unsure at all.

I think about using Lazarus/FPC/glScene.

I've recently become interested in GLScene, I'm looking at the oxNewton version, http://www.dave.serveusers.com/oxNewton.html

The demos there include a FPS example.. it's not exactly quake4, but it should give an indication of what GLScene + Newton can do.

I don't know about any speed issues, all of the demos run at a lovely pace on my machine... only slowing down on one demo when I crash my car into hundreds of spheres and boxes which I placed in the scene dynamically.

I've been playing with GLScene for 3 years and I really recommend it. The developers are still upgrading it, so new bugs are detected and fixed. If you want to make a game using it, do it!

Thanks for the fast replies and hints. I will consider using this bundle then .

EDIT: Oh... then I think, what systems you are using btw? My system is old.

Mine's a recent(ish) mid spec machine.

Intel dual core jobby, can't remember the processor speed.
    2gb ram
    BFG nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX
    Windoze XP

It plays Crysis quite well and Quake4 like the US's new super greased Mach7 warship bourne Hyper-cannon railgun thingy. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...rsonic_cannon/

Machine spec is largely irrelevant though saying as the stuff I develop tends to take a while to come to fruition, it'll be a baseline system a long time before my game's ready so I'm not really worried too much about any possible issues with GLScene's performance (not seen any myself), it's fast enough for me at the moment and I need ease of use over speed.

Pentium D 805 2,66 GHz (overclocked to 3,0 GHz)
    2 GB RAM DDRII 667 MHz
    Gainward Bliss GeForce 7600 GS
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Crysis runs perfectly on medium details, Quake 4 runs on max details with around 90 FPS and UT3 on max details with around the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Brainer
    Pentium D 805 2,66 GHz (overclocked to 3,0 GHz)
    2 GB RAM DDR 667 MHz
    Gainward Bliss GeForce 7600 GS
    Windows XP Pro SP2

Crysis runs perfectly on medium details
    That's impossible and you know it :? my pc is twice those specs, and altrough it runs crysis fine with SOME settings on medium i would hardly expect it to run "perfectly" on those specs that you wrote, and that's because my previous pc was around the same specs as the one you listed (i even had the same gfx card) and i know how badly it performed.
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Nah, it's possible. It runs very good on medium details for me. It's impossible to play on high details (not to mention max details). But trust me, Crysis works fine for me. I don't lie.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonf
    Intel dual core jobby, can't remember the processor speed.
    2gb ram
    BFG nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX
    Windoze XP

It plays Crysis quite well and Quake4 like the US's new super greased Mach7 warship bourne Hyper-cannon railgun thingy. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...rsonic_cannon/
    Strangely, I've got Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86 Ghz (1k bus speed), 2.5 Gb RAM (800 Mhz), Nvidia GeForce 7600 GS and Crysis barely runs. :cry: It could be, however, because of the slow video card, and/or debug DX runtimes enabled.

@ OP: You will need native OpenGL drivers to get GLScene working at full capacity, but it's been a long project and a very developed one. Talking more about specs, I'm trying to acquire some new laptop where video card supposedly supports OpenGL 2.1, so...

P.S. Jason, any info on the game you are developing?

@Lifepower, you're not running a multi-monitor rig are you?.. and haven't set the Mixed-display/mixed-GPU acceleration setting in the nVidia Control Panel to Single display performance mode by any chance?

By default, (my card anyway) the default for multi monitors is to attempt to accelerate both screens, this kills performance by such an amount that I thought there was something wrong with my machine. Setting the setting to single display made it wonderful.

The next game?.. well, I'm trying to get it made with as little engine coding as possible. I'm investigating GLScene to see if it can let me hit the ground running. So far, I'm fairly impressed.. but drawing pretty boxes on the screen is useless in it'self, I need to have a decent conversation system, camera control, inventory system and physics.

Essentially, the game at the moment is a 3rd person point & click adventure. It'll be in chapters (similar to Siege of Avalon) so I can focus on developing parts of the story and release them one at a time.

I'll release bits and bobs as things progress

After the release of Crashblock, I've got experience now in completing projects so unless something utterly devastating happens, it will get finished (although I think I'll need some help with it from time to time)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast