Thread: Help wanted for homebrew MMO project!

Help wanted for homebrew MMO project!

Team name:
    We have no team name, nor company yet.

Project name:
    Working title: Super awesome game of awesome uberness. (Obviously this will be modified when we have a more fleshed out direction )

Brief description:
    Basically, it's just a standard-issue MMO. Although the server is currently 2D, once we get a good graphics developer we'll move to a 3D engine. Obviously, it's a small project - still far from being finished (Heck, we don't even have a name) - but the core elements of the game itself are there.

Defining Features (Implemented and non-implemented):
    - More 'arcade-y' style of game play than a traditional MMO. Top down cameras allow players to see the battle, not just their unit frames.
    - Focus on 6 to 12 man content, allowing for the effective incorporation of hybrids in groups.
    - Player driven crafting systems, allowing high levels of item customization, and opening the door for a diverse economy.
    - Merchant and Kingdom level game play. Start a trade business, set up a store; take over a kingdom, build a city.

Current state of the game:
    - Net-code: Done, could use some tweaking here and there
    - Classes: Basic structures in place, need to finish out the Druid, Bloodmage, Monk, and Swarm Master
    - Skills: Set up to be written in LUA, need to develop and write them
    - Items: Basic item mechanics set up (pick up, drop, use) need to add in trading, crafting, etc.
    - Engine: Uses directX, but in a purely sprite based system. Should be relatively easy to switch to 3D, however
    - UI: Set up using xml and lua components (a lot like WoW)
    - NPCs: Pathing calculations etc are in place. Need some work on the scripting of AIs.
    - Maps: Currently using a 2000x2000 map system. May switch over to a global system in the future

Target aim:
    Not sure yet; though if at all possible, being able to eat off of the project would be nice. However, I do not want to ever be charging main stream MMOs prices (5-10 dollars a month?).

Compensation:
    Right now it's purely a volunteer basis. However, if we were to go retail ever, obviously compensation would be in order.

Technology:
    There will be extensive use of the DirectX libraries. I'm using a number of windows.h components, but I'd like to move those to DirectX equivalents (sound, input) in order to promote Mac/PC interchangeability.
    We're also using LUA, and tinyXML (a XML parser), both of with are on free licenses.

Obviously, 3D graphics designers will be needing some sort of graphics program.

Talent needed:
    What we're looking for is a graphics designer, preferably with 3D experience.
    We could also use a few script developers (UIs, skills, NPCs etc with the lua API).
    I'm willing to look at another core programmer (the server and client are written in C++, using directX and the LUA C API).
    Anyone that wants to be part of the project is welcome to help out and give ideas.

Team structure:
    The "Team" is currently just me. Some of my friends are helping with planning, and ideas, but the only coding/development being done is by me.

...which is a lot of work... so come save me

Online notepad [sites.google.com]

Contacts:
    sharsnik@hotmail.com
    Or you can use the IRC channel listed on the web page.

Previous Work by Team:
    None

Additional Info:
    If you're interested I suggest downloading the current build. I leave the server running, so it *should* be up (it's still not 100% stable)

ANY

Actually, any ideas are welcomed.

I've editted your text as the url to your site was not included (taken from your post at gamedev.)

The screenshots looked pretty good already, although I assume most sprites are placeholders? Anyway, I can't help myself as I've got my own goals set, but I wish you good luck.

I am current map creator using l3dt. I have friends who make 3D models in blender, 3ds, ac3d (i think its calle that)
    Thanks,
    <br />Venomizer

Awesome, swing by the IRC channel and we'll talk

I just overhauled the server and client to 3D, so... the journey begins

(also, bump)