Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: My multiplayer RTS

Re: My multiplayer RTS

Conversion is now 100% complete and project on Lazarus runs in exactly same visual and control quality and 0% cpu usage aswell as on Delphi.

I actually had a lot of problems when i was testing basic network stuff on my Delphi's component. WSockets was dated 1997 anyway... so Synapse has much better support and should work much more reliably. I wrote a high level wrapper unit to it automatically creating threads for sockets, and giving out onData and onEvent's for main program making it very easy to use. Same class works for TCP and UDP so if i wanted to use UDP all of the sudden all i need to do is call a different constructor and everything auto-magically works

Well obvious difference is that UDP server only listens to 1 socket and should only ever send something after client asks for it. You CAN store clients address for UDP server and make a list to use it same way as TCP server but i don't know if that's proper way to go... might be cool to do though.

Edit: Gotta have proof ofc! http://i45.tinypic.com/1zbfc51.jpg
    And Free Pascal .exe size? I can squeeze that to 726kb with strip+upx.

Good job on the port! Snapshot looks cewl too.

I'd also like to get into lazarus, because I have a Win7/Ubuntu dual boot and I want to develop for linux too. I did encounter quite some problems while installing FPC and lazarus on Ubuntu. At the moment, there are still problems (e.g I cannot debug my apps on linux).

Do you intend to compile your code on other platforms?
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    Good job on the port! Snapshot looks cewl too.

I'd also like to get into lazarus, because I have a Win7/Ubuntu dual boot and I want to develop for linux too. I did encounter quite some problems while installing FPC and lazarus on Ubuntu. At the moment, there are still problems (e.g I cannot debug my apps on linux).

Hi chronozphere, if you want to debug under linux you have to install the dgb linux package...

I had to do this under Ubuntu.

Google should find what you want - google for "apt-get" and "gdb" I guess LOL

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    I only have WinXP at the moment, maybe switching to later, possibly even Ubuntu dualboot that i had once before. So thing is i can't test it on other OS's Freepascal compiler however warns if code is not multiplatform compatible so there should be no issues.

Maybe it was easier to understand the whole network idea if i explain it this way:
    The whole system is based on turn based game. Whenever player does something he does it through server which passes information to other players that will put actions on hold for next turn. Now imagine a turn based game that automatically switches turn for all players per 30 seconds by a command that comes from server to all clients same time. Up till now everything's synchronized and network traffic is minimal because here server doesn't need to send info on game events themselves.

Finally, reduce time between each turns to 100ms or highest ping connected to server. At this point, time between turns is so small that amount of actions clients store on hold are close to 0.

If i wanted to expand this idea into mmo, game would need to be put in zones. Player entering zone would download a full current status of it first and immediately join the communication that is going between players there.

PGD Staff / News Reporter phibermon's Avatar

Hi User137, I've been developing a game for a year now after many previous years of learning about game engine design and experimentation in a multitude of areas.

Trying to keep all your gamestates identical across all clients according to the lowest ping is a bad move for anything other than the slowest paced turn based games. Pings could fluctuate, bandwidth limitations could mean that a given client has not updated before the next 'turn' etc.

At any point in time, the server and all the clients should be allowed to have a different state that's kept as close as possible to the server state. Tie breaker situations (who shot who first for example) are decided upon by the server according to it's internal gamestate.

The network library I designed for my game, the associated message manager and net-synchronized classes are now complete (add me on msn (phibermon att hotmail c o m) if you want to discuss anything in detail).

The setup allows for clients to connect to a running game at any point by keeping all the information that needs to be shared between clients and server (entity positions, any deformed level geometry etc) in a container that assigns each peice of data an ID.

when a client connects, the server communicates the gamestate by pushing all relevant ID's onto a queue which begins sending the data to the client. For each ID, the server gets the size of the data, sends it over along with the ID and a timestamp and then sends the data itself.

This allows for the gamestate to be reconstructed on the client side using the same ID's.

As the game is progressing for the other clients, messages are fired back and forth between the server as normal.

Any message that makes a change to the server gamestate is added onto the message queues for all other clients (if relevant), including the one that's currently connecting.

The queues are priority queues so critical things such as position can be bumped up and less critical things such as say, money in the bank can be sent when there's time.

Message invalidation comes into play at this stage, any ID that's already on the queue can be removed as it's not already sent, this helps out laggy clients struggling to keep up. I've optimized this process using a hash table so the entire queue doesn't need to be scanned each time a message is pushed.

Essentially everyones pumping messages around on queues, just the connecting player has to play catchup with it's queue until it's in sync, it's determined to be in sync when a predefined offset between the current messages being pumped becomes small enough to be concidered realtime. For my game FPS grade performance is not required so I concider the client in sync if the messages it's handling are less than 400ms old.

If the offset steadily increases, the client can assume that the transfer rate is not enough to sustain a realtime connection to that gamestate and disconnect with a message to that effect.

As stated, message invalidation and synchronization problems (that arise from different packet turn-around times of the various clients) are all sorted out on the server end (Except for some basic invalidation on the client when appropriate), the server is god, it's gamestate gets the final word. However this part of game net-code is challanging, dealing with temporal offsets between clients can be done in a multitude of ways, the quake 3 source code was released ages ago and I highly reccomend reading thru that.

Remember : The server is god. No two players have exactly the same gamestate at any moment in time, only an approximation based upon the last peice of information recieved. The tie breaker problems you've attempted to avoid must be handled for a game that works well over the internet with many clients.

I'm not sure if this is the best approach but it works well for me.

Sorry if this isn't too clear, I got no sleep last night due to the apparently newly wedded couple next door.

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie - that's an extinction level impact event.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345