Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
Could you not store the record structure inside a stream/file that is also stored in the blocks. E.g. the record structure is just another file inside the archive. No interference that way.
That is an interesting idea, but i would implement it in a slightly other way. If you use the existing file-system to store filesystem-data you will not be able to retrieve this data because it's stored in the system itsself, and you need this meta-data to tell in which file the meta-data is stored.. It's an endless circle isn't it. 

You are simply encapsulating your filesystem into another blocksystem. Doing it this way allows you to keep adding data to the end of your file without having to move data around to allow parts of the file to grow. This system allows for fragmentation and asks for a defragmentation-method(). You also need to scan all blocks at startup to be able to enumerate all files that exist inside the VFS.
If the added complexity and work is no problem for, you could try this method.
The circle got a a starting point on by having the 'file' index always start in block 2. Leaving block 1 for the header. Now the 'file' index can be used to retrieve meta data and data tables and data indexes also stored as other files inside the chunked file. The 'file' index can be considered an data table also.

Have a look at my vfs: http://www.noeska.net/projects/nvfs/
and look at
procedure TVirtualFileSystem.GetFileList(aname: string; List: TStrings);
that uses FDir: TVirtualFileStream;
what is a filestream inside the chunked file that starts in block2.
it can be loaded in a stream by name '/' because
function TVirtualFileSystem.FindFile(aname: string; var afilerecord: TFileInfo): int64;
returns the first record in block 1:
self.ReadBlock(1,FileRecordEntry,0,SizeOf(TFileInf o));
and yes this record is fixed size :-) variable sized records are somewhere low on my todo list.
as filename: string[255];
and yes nvfs potentialy needs to be defragmented after deleting files and making files larger/smaller.
But i have no need to enumerate al files at startup. Al i need to do when reading a file is look up its name in '/' that way i retrieve the starting chunk and each chunk knows the follow up chunk for a file.