Before I left managing PGD, I had an untried solution for this problem. I was going to use some of my external contacts, contacts from outside of the Pascal realm, and have them do the judging. Tearing down the stages function of the competition would make judging all that much easier and in turn would make getting judges easier. And this really is a crucial step in having such a competition. No judges, no judging and no winning anyone over, hence no competition.

I had, and think I still do have, contacts with the Dev-Mag people who could supply a few if not all judges for our competition. Also the sponsors my also be able to get into the spirit of the competition and help by providing a judge.

Biggest Tasks to setup the competition:

- Gather sponsors and prizes to award the winners (sponsorship need not just be to provide prizes, but funds for other things including advertising as well)

- Advertise!!! (at least a month in advance) with Video(YouTube), Web Banners, Mag Ads(Dev-Mag, Pascal Gamer, Gamasutra, etc) and other placements everywhere - This is vital!

- Setup a system to track competition entrants (it helps to have everyone register so you have numbers to compare and track actual interest in the event)

- Write up a solid set of rules and regulations to maintain the integrity and legality of the event and allow you to use the entries to help advertise future competitions (have ALL entrants 'read' and accept agreement as part of the registration process!)

- Get judges that can run at a minimum set of system performance and specifics so as to be able to play all games that will be entered into the competition (note this within the rules for competing teams so that they know what they have to work with on the other end)

And I think that does it. As you can see not too much, but each one needs some attention to it so that it's done right. Barring that anyone that can do these can run the competition.