Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Next PGD Annual?

Blog Entries

Re: The Next PGD Annual?

Before I left managing PGD, I had an untried solution for this problem. I was going to use some of my external contacts, contacts from outside of the Pascal realm, and have them do the judging. Tearing down the stages function of the competition would make judging all that much easier and in turn would make getting judges easier. And this really is a crucial step in having such a competition. No judges, no judging and no winning anyone over, hence no competition.

I had, and think I still do have, contacts with the Dev-Mag people who could supply a few if not all judges for our competition. Also the sponsors my also be able to get into the spirit of the competition and help by providing a judge.

Biggest Tasks to setup the competition:

- Gather sponsors and prizes to award the winners (sponsorship need not just be to provide prizes, but funds for other things including advertising as well)

- Advertise!!! (at least a month in advance) with Video(YouTube), Web Banners, Mag Ads(Dev-Mag, Pascal Gamer, Gamasutra, etc) and other placements everywhere - This is vital!

- Setup a system to track competition entrants (it helps to have everyone register so you have numbers to compare and track actual interest in the event)

- Write up a solid set of rules and regulations to maintain the integrity and legality of the event and allow you to use the entries to help advertise future competitions (have ALL entrants 'read' and accept agreement as part of the registration process!)

- Get judges that can run at a minimum set of system performance and specifics so as to be able to play all games that will be entered into the competition (note this within the rules for competing teams so that they know what they have to work with on the other end)

And I think that does it. As you can see not too much, but each one needs some attention to it so that it's done right. Barring that anyone that can do these can run the competition.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PGD Annual 2009 - UPDATE!!!

Well, I'm still working on this thing, so here's how it's looking at the moment...

I've secured a whole bunch of prizes from some long standing sponsors and some new ones, and I'm still working on some others.

Will has been kind enough to help me out with artwork and that kind of stuff for the competition, leaving me free to use my limited free time to work on the competition site. The development version is looking pretty good, I'm just in the process of building the competition handling side of things... ie. the bit where we setup the competition, list the prizes in the prize pool and allocate them to places and awards. I was going to try and implement team support but that isn't that important right now so that will be added in the future.

I've sketched out some rules, the other staff are going through them and giving me some feedback and they are being fleshed out. The theme.... is decided, but will not be released until a couple of days before the competition officially starts. The standard rules apply, your entry must be coded with Pascal. It can make use of pre-existing libraries, but the bulk of the code, artwork etc. must be produced specifically for the competition. Full details will be posted before the start date.

The competition itself... the plan is to have two stages. The first is a design stage which will last approximately 5 days. This will start 2 days after the theme/rules are released. After that it will be a straight run to the finish line. In terms of dates, unless things change, the rough dates are start at the beginning of July and finish at the end of September.

The judges will then be expected to mark as quick as possible against the standard categories.

There will be bonus points available... details will be posted when the rules are released.

The judges will not necessarily be from PGD, as suggested by Will, it may be a good idea to have independent people to judge the competition, so we'll try it this year. Machine specs of the judges... these will be available to you via the competition site, so they won't be published anywhere.

I'm still chasing prize sponsors, and I can confirm that I've lined up a sponsor for the IGF

So, thats it from me for now... get a stock pile of your favourite beverage and prepare for a frantic summer of code!
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Personally i'm more into casual competitions without rewards. It's that i wouldn't want competition to feel too grand and put such a pressure on... Something that might be constantly going on, could give more experience in game programming to many with that little motivation which is fun instead of money/etc. Maybe some contests would allow all programming languages too for publicity and activity on site. But i guess the competition site support some of those ideas too already

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by User137
    Personally i'm more into casual competitions without rewards. It's that i wouldn't want competition to feel too grand and put such a pressure on... Something that might be constantly going on, could give more experience in game programming to many with that little motivation which is fun instead of money/etc. Maybe some contests would allow all programming languages too for publicity and activity on site. But i guess the competition site support some of those ideas too already
    My intention is to make the competition site capable of dealing with a variety of competitions, with the aim of allowing smaller fun+kudos only competitions to take place more frequently through out the year.

RE: Pressure... my original plans for this years competition included stages. I personally liked stages, but after talking with Will, basically stages are gone... submit your idea document and then present your game by the closing date... nice and casual... and you get the chance to win some nice goodies as a bonus So... in short... you better enter
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234