Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pack files

Re: pack files

I'm pretty sure there is no "wrong reason" for using this. It's a lot harder for a user to rip the sprites making up an isometric game by copying them from the screen, as that would be a composite image made up of various layers and tiles, than by just copying the complete tilesets from a /graphics folder.
    Laserbrain Studios - Currently developing Hidden Asset!
    Ascii Sector
    - Real-time roguelike in space!

Still there's pratically no use in encrypting data as your graphics have to be decrypted before you send them to the graphic card. Not to mention that your program can be reverse engineered and your encryption algorithm can be broken.

I'm not saying it's completely rip-proof, I'm just saying that it's a heck of a lot easier to rip the graphics by copying the complete tilesets from a /graphics folder than by reverse engineering the game or intercepting the data as it's sent to the graphics card. It's like saying that I want to lock the door to my home, but then people saying that it's "wrong" to do as burglars can just smash the entire door. I know they can, but it'll still keep most people from just wandering into my home and steal my stuff.
    Laserbrain Studios - Currently developing Hidden Asset!
    Ascii Sector
    - Real-time roguelike in space!

Yeah, the analogy was quite accurate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12