Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Annual 2009 - Questions about rules and judging

Re: PGD Annual 2009 - Questions to AthenaOfDelphi and the judges

Thanks all...

I thought I was logged in, but I wasn't...so I didn't see those left-hand menu options till I did log in...D'OH!

I had confirmed my registration and mistakenly thought it also logged me into the site too
    cheers,
    Paul

I have some rules questions:

4. Games should have a clearly defined beginning and end.
    Not sure what you mean by this? Lots of arcade games had no end, except for dying...

Or do you mean that death is a defined end?

6. Your game should be written specifically for the competition. You cannot submit a game that was started before the competition began. Anyone found to be breaking this rule could be subject to disqualification.
    What if I had a game idea pre-competition, but I never actually wrote any code (I only had a concept screenshot)?

I assume I can use the idea as I never started the game?

cheers,
    Paul

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dazappa
    Quick question: I am working alone, but I know of a place to get music (that is licensed properly, legal etc); but since I'm not working in a team (just myself), would I be allowed to use it or would I have to create my own?
    I'm sorry, I didn't answer your question about music...

The rules for the competition are quite clear, YOU MUST NOT INFRINGE COPYRIGHT. That does not prevent you from using assets that are copyright someone else, on one condition... you must have permission to use them (i.e. the owner must provide you with permission to use them).

Some assets are public domain and will probably include a public domain licence. Some are free for non-commercial purposes etc. If you are in any doubt, drop the copyright owner a mail asking for clear written permission to use the asset and include a copy of their permission in your submission as a text document.

We appreciate that it's a big ask to generate all your own assets in such a short space of time, especially if you're working alone, so we don't prevent you form using other peoples assets... you just have to have permission.

For music, my first stop is normally somewhere like reasonstation.net. You'll find loads of mp3's etc. and based on my own personal experience, if you ask the artist for permission, they'll let you use their tunes (I know, because I've sought permission to use a few tunes from there and they all said yes).
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls
    I have some rules questions:

4. Games should have a clearly defined beginning and end.
    Not sure what you mean by this? Lots of arcade games had no end, except for dying...

Or do you mean that death is a defined end?
    Death is an acceptable end... so to is to actually reach the end of a game... some one wins for example or you run out of chances.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls
    6. Your game should be written specifically for the competition. You cannot submit a game that was started before the competition began. Anyone found to be breaking this rule could be subject to disqualification.
    What if I had a game idea pre-competition, but I never actually wrote any code (I only had a concept screenshot)?

I assume I can use the idea as I never started the game?
    I'm pretty certain we will all have ideas for an arcade game... I know I have... the key thing is that all the code you right must be written within the competition period with the usual exception of pre-written game engines which you can use provided that the core logic/control/gameplay code is written specifically for this competition.

Blog Entries

PGD Annual 2009 - Forum Threads

I have now created two more threads for posting questions/comments about the site and the competition.

There is this thread which should only be for questions about the rules and judging decisions. Any questions posted here which do not relate to these issues will be deleted.

There are also two other threads... one for comments/questions relating to the competition site and it's use and another for posting progress and showing off your entries. The same will apply to posts in those threads... if it is not relevant, IT WILL BE DELETED!

Please adhere to these posting rules as it will make life easier for everyone, particularly the judges who won't want to be sifting through questions about the competition site etc.

Blog Entries

Re: PGD Annual 2009 - Questions about rules and judging

Quote Originally Posted by NecroDOME
    Multi player only on one screen? Some arcade games use network. For example some race games you drive against each other via network on 2 arcade cabinets. Some games (first person shooters, race games, rts, etc) are better played via network instead of one cabinet. Can we score also points for multi player network or is this out of the options?
    That rule was inspired by games like Gauntlet, and more recently LittleBigPlanet so it was intended to recreate that kind of old arcade feeling... get a crowd of people around the one cabinet.

But, upon reflection it is quite limiting. I will think it over and get back to you. In essence I think it should change, but I just want to think it through thoroughly.

Please can we start posting in the right threads - I've been nice and moved this one... no more... if you post in the wrong thread from now on, I'm going to just delete the posts. Thanks - AthenaOfDelphi

Question 1: Among the rules I can't see anything stating that the entries need to be coded in pascal. Is it an oversight?

Question 2: (looking in my kitchen garden, if you get the meaning ) is the competition open to other platforms but the pc, say e.g. nintendo ds ? If an entry works fine on an emulator, is it ok?
    Get your fpc4gba copy now!
    Get your fpc4nds copy now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    Question 1: Among the rules I can't see anything stating that the entries need to be coded in pascal. Is it an oversight?
    I guess people aren't reading the terms and conditions that you are agreeing to when you're signing up accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by General Terms and Conditions
    3. Unless otherwise stated by the competition rules, all competition entries should be developed using Pascal or it's derivatives such as Object Pascal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas
    Question 2: (looking in my kitchen garden, if you get the meaning ) is the competition open to other platforms but the pc, say e.g. nintendo ds ? If an entry works fine on an emulator, is it ok?
    I have updated the competition rules to make it clear what hardware/operating system you must support in order to ensure you get scored. I suggest you read clause 7 of the competition rules. I should also point you towards the general site terms and conditions which clearly state your submission must include all files required to run your entry. I'm not sure how large an NDS emulator is, but if you use it, you must provide clear instructions for the judges about installation and use. It is not sufficient to say ...read this website...

I went to my local arcade last night for some inspiration... Got a few questions now. Many games at the arcade were not stand up arcade cabinets, does simulation of these count under the competition rules? Eg: Claw game, Quarter Sliders (lots of types), SkeeBall, yadda yadda.... Personally, I think they do, but I want a ruling from the judges

- Jeremy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jdarling
    I went to my local arcade last night for some inspiration... Got a few questions now. Many games at the arcade were not stand up arcade cabinets, does simulation of these count under the competition rules? Eg: Claw game, Quarter Sliders (lots of types), SkeeBall, yadda yadda.... Personally, I think they do, but I want a ruling from the judges

- Jeremy
    I'm sorry Jeremy, but I have no idea what SkeeBall is. I'm guessing the Claw Game is the one where you press one button to move the crane craw across, then another to move into the cabinet and then it drops down and grabs whatever is under it? If so, then like the quarter slides (or penny pushers), its a game of chance. Games of chance are allowed under the rules.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast