Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Annual 2009 - Progress

Re: PGD Annual 2009 - Progress

The submarine is cute
    I'm expecting the Beatles song "yellow submarine" to be playing!! haha!

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by noeska
    A minor update for submerged :-)

- The scrolling part of the level is now fullscreen instead of being boxed
    - A few graphics have been updated with something that is not a square ;-)

In the end it is now a bit more playeable again ...

You can download the pre alpha 5 version from: http://sites.vanderhoning.net/submerged/

PS colliding with an object does cause the player or object to stop. Instead the player looses energy.

So todo is making the player able to defend him/her self and make object that give back energy instead of taking it. And ofcourse more graphics need to be drawn ...
    Clears up some things yes. Personally, I wouldn't rotate the entire screen, but rather the sub itself like most other sidescrolling games (although it is an interesting game mechanic). The font is still way too huge for my computer, at least, with only "gy" from "energy" visible on the left.

Also, your app seems to have set more than just the resolution. My monitor is finicky this way, and certainly shouldn't cause you any worry, but I just thought I'd mention. It's either specifying the depth or refresh rate, which my monitor doesn't like. Side effect is that all images look jaggy, but this is just my monitor (never found anyone with a similar problem), so don't worry too much about this.

@Noeska. Congrats on your progress. I'll check your game as soon as I have time (this weekend).

I've made a bit of progress too. I'm planning to make neat circle v.s line based (yes that's 2d ) collision checking mechanism. For debugging purposes, I first tried to render the collision data (see pictures). All the lines that mark the individual cells, that is. Next, I'll implement an algorithm that can check a vehicle-circle (that white thingy ) against any nearby lines. I will also try to make some nice collision response (hope to do that this weekend).

Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

I want to share with you my concern regarding my own entry.

Allthough my entry may look impressive, it's far from finished and working on it has become frustrating rather than fun. This is because of:
    • Mathy routines that don't work (a lot of code depends on these routines)
    • Floating point rounding errors
    • Memory leaks
    • Increasing complexity of my code
    • DeleD crashes (probably lost 24 hours of work because of this)
    • Making content is alot of work
    • When data (like a racetrack) is corrupted, its hard (or impossible) to fix it (that just happened )

All these things cause alot of frustration. I keep on debugging and fixing things that I thought were fixed. Somehow, I keep myself at it, but now I've come to the point where I'm considering to drop the project. Yeah.. It hurts, but it might be the best thing to do. I still have hope to finish this, but I doubt whether this hope is justified.

Just don't know what to do now??

Edit: Just fixed my corrupted race track. I'll show you some pics when I have lightmapped it.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Here they are. Yeah.. These graphics seem to motivate me a bit more.

Nice

cheers,
    Paul

@Chrono: Lightmapped track looks really cool, I hope you can manage to fix some working gameplay before the compo ends.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Keep it up folks

Only three weeks left!!

I did a small update; I created a new race track. This is our 2nd track so far. (This took me 1 evening of work...)

http://www.necrosoft.nl/?p=627

NecroSOFT - End of line -

Looks good.

I think the next step for me, is to get collision detection working and add a racing vehicle to the game (+ thruster particles). When i've managed to do that, I'll probably upload it so you can check it out. I have not enough time implement my original idea described in my design document (opponents with AI and weapons + laps and checkpoints etc..), so I have to pick something simpler that is still fun. If anyone has a cool idea, please tell me about it.

Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast