Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: PGD Annual 2009 - Progress

Blog Entries

Re: PGD Annual 2009 - Progress

You guys are on a roll keeping it goes guys, just a few more sleepless nights and your done.

I'm looking forward to seeing what will be submitted on November 29th.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Sounds like you are almost there! Smiley
    As for the obligatory part's of the entry, this is true, but most of the gameplay still must be implemented. I'm glad I reached my goals for today. Tomorrow I'll start working on the powerups, the HUD and sound.

Gotta get some sleep now.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Allright. Today I wrote rendering code for the finish line (and checkpoints, if I decide to incorporate them in my gameplay). I also made the HUD rendering code. Finally I found some nice sounds for the menu. Also recorded a few voice-over wave's.

Just realized that I also have to add a decent looking explosion effect.... more work.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    Allright. Today I wrote rendering code for the finish line (and checkpoints, if I decide to incorporate them in my gameplay). I also made the HUD rendering code. Finally I found some nice sounds for the menu. Also recorded a few voice-over wave's.

Just realized that I also have to add a decent looking explosion effect.... more work.
    Good work chief!

Myself, I just added in the use of continues (you get 5) as that was in the necessary list

EDIT:

http://paulsbitsandbytes.webatu.com/..._continues.png

Oh, as an aside, does anyone know of, or have a sound effect that sounds like a continuous laser noise, perhaps zapping something that would work on looping?

I have changed the primary weapon from a single blast to a laser beam, and I want to add in a continuous laser sound when destroying asteroids...

cheers,
    Paul

Hi all, well for better (or for worse), I have uploaded my entry to the competition page as I am not sure if I will get time to work on it more before the due date...

I have also updated this version (in .7z format) to my website:

http://paulsbitsandbytes.webatu.com/dod

I have updated the .pdf instructions file so it has all the new and changed features in it (satellites, game continues, etc).

I am fairly happy with the results - I managed to squeeze in all the competition required features:

Your game should use one of the two control methodologies specified below:-

1. The player will use the mouse and only the left and right mouse buttons, no other controls allowed
    2. The player will use no more than 10 button style inputs (e.g. Up, Down, Left, Right, Fire, Punch, Kick, Duck) for normal controls.
    You can play the complete game (short of quitting) using only the mouse if you wish

Joystick is also supported, but the judges will be looking for complying with (1), so I should be safe there

TA - Rules applying to (a) A computer game

1. Your game should be organised into levels.
    2. Your game should get progressively more difficult as the game progresses.
    3. Your game should provide the player with a limited number of 'continues'.
    4. Every new game should start in the same place and the overall flow of the game should follow the same path for each successive game.
    I have done all of the above

BP - Bonus Points (each one is worth 10pts. NOTE:- These are OPTIONAL elements only and the scoring may be subject to change depending on the number of judges)

1. Make you game multiplayer (e.g. allow multiple players on muliple PC's, or multiple players on a single PC by way of a splitscreen mechanism - Note:- These are just two examples of multiplayer mechanisms)
    2. Make your game arcade cabinet ready (i.e. Provide full configuration options such that it could be loaded on a PC in an arcade cabinet and then be stuffed with quarters).
    3. Provide an on-line high score table for your game.
    I have even managed to get (3) working (http://www.paulsbitsandbytes.webatu....highscores.php), and theoretically, even (2) - not tested though

The game could have more features and more variety, but for the first time, I have "completed" a game, and a competition!! Woo! Hoo! So I am very pleased with myself

I wish the best of luck to all the other competitors, may your games rock!
    Good Luck!!

cheers,
    Paul

Excellent! Nice job Paul!
    I hope more will follow the next few days

@Paul: Great, your done! And I might have a few of those looping laser sounds (if you're still interested)

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    @Paul: Great, your done! And I might have a few of those looping laser sounds (if you're still interested)
    Thanks!

And yes, I would be interested in the looping laser sound

If it makes it easier, you could email it to me:

paulfnicholls AT gmail DOT com

Good luck chief

cheers,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    Excellent! Nice job Paul!
    I hope more will follow the next few days
    Wish I was one of them, but I'm not. I don't think a text based adventure could be considered an arcade game, and I'm not finished with it anyway. Good luck to everyone who entered, and I hope the the PGD is timed more conveniently for me next year.

Well, I've now added in an modified laser sound into my game (thanks chronozphere!), and there are also 3 kinds of asteroids now too:

Grey asteroids - large ones split into 2 smaller medium ones.
    Gold asteroids - big bonus points (1000), but take much more energy and time to destroy.
    Fire asteroids - bigger bonus points (1500), but take even more energy and time to destroy. Also if one of these hits the Earth, then you suffer 2x damage on the Earth damage bar.

I have uploaded the new version to the competition site...yay!

I would like to upgrade/add more stuff in the game, but I just don't have time - perhaps after the competition!

I haven't uploaded the new version to my website yet...

Good luck to all!!
    cheers,
    Paul

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast