Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls
Quote Originally Posted by deathshadow
There are so many ways of numbering software. Usually I try to avoid things like mozilla's infamous 2.0.0.14 build 285 since it's just getting too complex for it's own good.

I like to use a majorversion where 'appropriate' - aka alpha/beta/rc are 0.x, final is 1.x, only go to 2.x if major rewrites are done/major functionality changes.

For me the 'tell' is the minorversion - Best way I've found is to just use the build date in days since the day you started the project (or started counting)

So for example, if I started writing a program back on jan 1, a version build for distribution today would be 1.355 - and unlike some other numbering schemes, I do use leading zero's to pad out the version number.

It's simple, and leaves little doubt as to what version you are looking at.

ok...

So, in my case I started (coding) my game on Sun Jul 12 2009, and I am currently at SVN version 280.

I'm not sure what my version using your way would be...

cheers,
Paul
It really all depends on what you want... do you want to show random version numbers like 1.04 to people when they get updates? Usually I'll show people that number, and have a separate number that says what build it is that only my program knows...

Versioning is not something I see as very important. A simple integer like 5 or 27 to distinguish the versions of your various resources should be sufficient..