Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy 15th Birthday Delphi!

Happy 15th Birthday Delphi!

On February 14, 1995 the first version of Delphi was released. For the first time I could be productive writing windows applications in a nice, intuitive, visual way. Not only that, but could use the same development tool to make add-on components. I've used every version going way back to Turbo Pascal 3.0. Now days we're using Delphi 2010 to build all of our current products.

Thinking about it, I first purchased Turbo Pascal 3.0 back in 1986... phew... 20+ years of Pascal for me. Man, where does the time go?
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Re: Happy 15th Birthday Delphi!

Ah, such a nostalgic thread.

I do remember the time when I first installed TP 7.0 and made a program which displayed a message on the screen. Slowly after, I moved to Delphi 1. Then came Delphi 3, Delphi 6, Delphi 7, Delphi 2005, and now Delphi 2010.

I can really see the IDE progressing. I don't regret those nearly 10 years I spent on programming in Delphi. I learned everything about programming in Delphi and I could not see it any other way.

Long life Delphi!

Quote Originally Posted by Brainer
    Ah, such a nostalgic thread.

I do remember the time when I first installed TP 7.0 and made a program which displayed a message on the screen. Slowly after, I moved to Delphi 1. Then came Delphi 3, Delphi 6, Delphi 7, Delphi 2005, and now Delphi 2010.

I can really see the IDE progressing. I don't regret those nearly 10 years I spent on programming in Delphi. I learned everything about programming in Delphi and I could not see it any other way.

Long life Delphi!
    Wow.. did you really start with Turbo Pascal. You're younger than me, and I started with Delphi 5. lol

Yeh.. Delphi rocks
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Neat! I also started with Turbo Pascal - version 5 I think.

I then moved to Delphi 1 (academic version!), 3, 5, 6.

I also use Delphi 2007 and D010 at work.

cheers,
    Paul

If I remember correctly it (TP3) was something like 49.95 back then. It came shrink wrapped with the floppy inside the manual. It had the no-nonsense license agreement which stated a book can only be read by one person at a time so then only one copy of the software was allowed to run on one computer at a time. Something like that. Ahh, those where the days, simple and to the point.

The versions I've had:
    • TP3-TP7
    • Borland Pascal, which included 16-bit protected mode support.
    • Turbo Pascal for Windows (Doh! any one remember this?)
    • Delphi 1-2010

With TP4, I flexed my wings and started doing some advanced stuff. Again, wings flexed more with TP5.5 which introduced OOP into the language. After TP6, I think I purchased Turbo C++ and learned C++, which was good for me that I started out with OOP which help a great deal.

Delphi 2 (first 32bit version) allowed me to grow more chest hairs because now I can develop with out all the 16bit hassles and memory constraints. D3 added packages and more database support. D4, ah hum... lets just skip that version, hehe. It was D7 that again, I flexed wings. The engine code what would eventually become Quantum Engine started when I got D7. QE got it's start using TP7 as high speed blitting routines for DOS using mode 13h (remember that mode?). After Delphi and DirectX 7 came out I eventually converted it to Windows and it's been in continual development ever since. So around 15 years or so. In between that time there was a C++ version and an OGL version as well. Son, it's been a cool ride, learning and growing and eventually seeing your vision come to fruitation.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere
    Wow.. did you really start with Turbo Pascal. You're younger than me, and I started with Delphi 5. lol
    Yep. The funny thing was I had problems with installing it. I had an old unzipping program installed called ZipMagic. It came with a pirated version of Office 2000. lol Due to this program I couldn't install TP. Accidentally, a friend of mine removed it and suddenly it installed. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Davis
    The versions I've had:
    • TP3-TP7
    • Borland Pascal, which included 16-bit protected mode support.
    • Turbo Pascal for Windows (Doh! any one remember this?)
    Turbo Pascal for Windows - I had forgotten about that one!

I had that too, and I made a cryptic crossword puzzle program using it (was comissioned for the project), and I actually sold one copy for $30 AUD I think way back then LOL

cheers,
    Paul

I used Delphi 6 only but I think it was a good piece of code. *Cof* I almost started with QuickBASIC (best BASIC ever), the I was Turbo C user for a long long time, another great IDE+Compiler. When I got a job as programmer I used Delphi 6 and I liked a lot. Nowadays I use FPC and GCC.

Long live to Delphi too. It was great. I hope in the future it evolves to be again the greatest. Actually
    No signature provided yet.

14 feb, Valentine's Day
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

It all started with Turbo Pascal 7.0 around 7th grade. Before that I was doing some BASIC and simple HTML stuff.
    I have used Delphi 1 - 7 (except for Delphi 4) and Turbo Delphi. It's sad there is so little interest in Delphi and Pascal-oriented programming languages these days.

With a few exceptions I haven't actually used Delphi that much lately, I completely over completely to FreePascal (and Lazarus).
    Still, I would very much like to see Delphi being used more frequently by developers.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast