Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tough road to get to iPhone now

Blog Entries

Re: Tough road to get to iPhone now

Something I just read on Delphi.org. Worth a read guys!

http://www.delphi.org/2010/04/monoto...phone-license/
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney
    Still, I think the new TOS (terms of service) leave some room for interpretation and don't forget it's a still a beta TOS and can change until the final release of iPhone OS 4. I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. There is a lot of anger against Apple at the moment from a lot sides, and Apple doesn't clarify the new TOS clearly, just points to it and leaves a state of FUD.
    Hmm well it does not apply to OS4 target only, iTunes Connect asked me to sign this agreement before April 22th : "To maintain your ability to create new applications and upload binaries, the Agent of your developement team must log in to the iPhone Developer Program Portal to review and accept this agreement."

I'm just wondering at which point this is legal, I paid for a full year subscription to access the developer tools, it didn't imply I would auto-accept all the updates to the TOS ...

Err apple only allows applications written in cpp to use its sdk? How do they check, do you need to hand in your sources also?
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

You don't need to upload the sources when submitting an app, but try to compare a C/C++/Objective-C executable with a FreePascal executable using a Hexeditor of your choice or their symbol dump generated with the "nm" utility. There are some differences there.

But nobody really knows how exactly and if Apple checks every submitted application.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Here is another interesting link to do with this issue:

http://www.knowing.net/index.php/201...ents-appebook/

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries

Something noone has mentioned yet; http://www.apple.com/ca/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/

Steve Jobs wrote a letter and posted it to all on the Apple website about his thoughts on Flash and the whole TOS issue. His reasons are "open" software standards vs commercial or "closed" software and how they would rather HTML5 and other more free and accessible technologies. Ok, fair enough. Flash is very commercial and of course, as Mr. Jobs says himself in this letter, it's pretty clunky and unstable in some ways. However in this light I don't think Apple should be throwing all the other 'babies' with the 'bath water' and from his own words neither does he. I think it would only be fair to contact Apple and point out that Free Pascal and Lazarus are open and free technologies, in both literal and higher principle terms. Their latest TOS obviously needs updating to prevent ousting any of these "open" and accessible technologies like FPC and Lazarus.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

All love of Pascal aside, lets not forget that it isn't just FPC/Lazarus that are affected by this decision. Lua, GPP, GCC, and literally 1,000's (ok, maybe 100's) of other truly open languages have been affected as well. Jobs isn't going to change his standpoint based upon one little language/compiler (even if the foundation of the hardware was built on it).

There are already MANY organized groups of developers attempting to "re-open" the platforms via petitions, emails, and legal channels with little to no avail thus far. The real "issue" so far (at least IMHO) is that these attempts focus directly on a single implementation, language, or technology and try to leverage a specific business or technological need and/or advancement. If, in general, there were a push for the ability to have a compiler "approved", via Apple, this may work out better.

In the end, someone will figure out a way to add a new type of "App Store" to the devices that is not directly tied to Apples software, and once that happens Apple will find the iPad and iPhone in the same suite as Sony's PSP.

- Jeremy

Good news everyone. Developing with FreePascal (and with any other programming language for that matter) on the iPhone is not prohibited any more.

For more details see:
    http://codeclimber.net.nz/archive/20...y-allowed.aspx
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...statement.html

The new changed agreement reads as follows:
    3.3.1 — Applications may only use Documented APIs in the manner prescribed by Apple and must not use or call any private APIs.
    (No more C/C++/Objective-C exclusivity in that clause.)

(Although, when I checked to accept the new agreements, there weren't any changes which was odd but the PDF agreement has been updated.)
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Just saw the news. Awesome!

So I guess we, pascal devs, can now make fun iphone games and get rich!
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Dang! You beat me to it Stoney! haha

I was just about to post what I found out

cheers,
    Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast