What about this, upgrade to SMF 2.0 RC3 and use SimplePortal or the latest TinyPortal which now works with SMF 2. TP has a button to promote a forum post to the front page. Unless there are other specialized needs, SMF 2.0 RC3 + TinyPortal I think will give you the features needed. As far as other MODs, stick with the higher quality free or paid ones and you should be ok. The new SimpleDesk is a great example of a high quality free addon for SMF.

The one problem I find is when a mod does not confirm to the SMF standard and breaks something or will not install because it's in the wrong order. From my experience using SMF, if you keep the MOD count to a minimum and not go crazy adding them (like you naturally will have a tendency to do once you see how cool and easy it is to add stuff), go with the quality ones then it should be ok. I like SMF because it's just so easy to use with plenty of great MODs (quality free and paid).

What about this, create a test.pascalgamedevelopment.com site, install the different forum software, add the mods that you think will be needed and let the community see if it they like it. Just a suggestion.