Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Donate to PGD!

Re: Donate to PGD!

By the way, not sure if it was mentioned somewhere, but what is wrong with the current setup?

Are there features you don't want and/or do want? (on top of what the current offering has available).

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CLW
    By the way, not sure if it was mentioned somewhere, but what is wrong with the current setup?

Are there features you don't want and/or do want? (on top of what the current offering has available).
    The main problem is that we are running on a pieced together platform... SMF for the forums, TinyPortal for the portal part, WakkaWiki (or something like that) for the Wiki for the library. This makes maintenance a pain if there are version dependencies, requires multiple logins and a bunch of other reasons.

Mainly we want to go for an all-in-one solution like vBulletin because it can do everything we want straight out of the box. This makes our life as admins easier and means we aren't spending time maintaining the site when we could be generating content.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

I presume phpBB won't do it for you? (It can be quite heavy but it is feature rich, tons of support and more mods than you could throw a rain forest full of sticks at).

Or I had a look around and some people are comparing http://www.mybboard.net/ to a similar but free version of vBulletin, have not tried it myself though.

MyBB from what I could see has in-built portal and some mods floating around to do some things with it, as for the wiki I didn't see anything extensive in terms of mods and unsure if in-built is any good to you.

Anyway if I come across anything really good, I'll be sure to let you know.

EDIT: Also drupal looks pretty nice!!!

I presume phpBB won't do it for you? (It can be quite heavy but it is feature rich, tons of support and more mods than you could throw a rain forest full of sticks at).

Or I had a look around and some people are comparing http://www.mybboard.net/ to a similar but free version of vBulletin, have not tried it myself though.

MyBB from what I could see has in-built portal and some mods floating around to do some things with it, as for the wiki I didn't see anything extensive in terms of mods and unsure if in-built is any good to you.

Anyway if I come across anything really good, I'll be sure to let you know.

Oh, drupal... I setup a test drupal installation, and even with cache mods, it was doing 60 queries/pg... not acceptable.

I believe it was already mentioned that they wanted a paid software, which would hopefully have guaranteed support, stability, and faster bug fixes.

You really need to know how to configure Drupal, I have seen many good and bad Drupal sites. I currently have a side job working on configuring and managing some Drupal sites, so if the decision would be for Drupal, I could help configuring the site.
    Freeze Development | Elysion Game Framework | Twitter: @Stoney_FD
    Check out my new book: Irrlicht 1.7.1 Realtime 3D Engine Beginner's Guide (It's C++ flavored though)

Programmer: A device for converting coffein into software.

Sure but there are some pretty good free options with pretty big support base. I'm just keeping an eye out.

I have tried paid for web products before and while not on all accounts but I went to free alternatives of said web product and got answers faster..... lol.

I haven't used vBulletin so I don't know just how comprehensive and easy it is to use, but the price is a bit of a stinger.

Blog Entries

Big thanks to Marek Mauder who donated today!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123