Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Space Trader (working title)

Re: Space Trader (working title)

This is looking really good.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Time for an update to this thread...

The "Space Trader" game is still under development although unfortunately I switched earlier this year to working mainly in C++ for various reasons (library support was a big one, and I had a lot of problems with Lazarus too). As a result I have spent a lot of time since my posts here rewriting the game from the ground up in a different language. I guess that means it's not exactly relevant on this forum any more

However what I plan to do is make all of the features of my new 3d engine accessible to Pascal/Delphi programs as a DLL, and release it here when it's done if anyone's interested. At the moment it includes OpenGL 3 graphics and shaders, model and texture loading, rigid body physics powered by Bullet, and a basic GUI system. The plan would be to make it as simple and accessible as possible as I know it's never gonna compete with anything big like Ogre. Here's a screenshot of a Delphi program running it with the most basic scene possible, a character and a physics-enabled donut:

(this is kinda cheating, the scene is an engine preset and the Delphi program is 15 lines long )

Looks nice. Do you have a small movie of your gameplay? I like to see it in action.
    NecroSOFT - End of line -

Blog Entries
    Wow, great work so far - wouldn't mind seeing it in action - although nothing beats a beta release .
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    Hey I was wondering if you're not moving forward with your old Delphi-based engine, would you be willing to eventually release the source for others to learn from it?

The game is looking good btw. I'll still play it even though it's not developed in Object Pascal anymore. I agree with NecroDOME too, I'd love to see some YouTube video of the gameplay in action. This will also attract potential fans to your game once it's released too. Hype isn't all hype you know.

Hey if you're looking for inspiration, I found this cool Freelancer-style app for the iPad called 'Galaxy on Fire 2'. Plays almost just like Freelancer, minus a few features.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Hey I was wondering if you're not moving forward with your old Delphi-based engine, would you be willing to eventually release the source for others to learn from it?

The game is looking good btw. I'll still play it even though it's not developed in Object Pascal anymore. I agree with NecroDOME too, I'd love to see some YouTube video of the gameplay in action. This will also attract potential fans to your game once it's released too. Hype isn't all hype you know.

Hey if you're looking for inspiration, I found this cool Freelancer-style app for the iPad called 'Galaxy on Fire 2'. Plays almost just like Freelancer, minus a few features.
    I'll probably never release the whole thing because it most likely wouldn't be much help - my old code is a mess and it's all very specific to the game. If there's any specific bits you'd like though I could tidy them up and post those.

I'll try to get enough features working to make a video or small demo soon-ish - yesterday I put in weapons that actually cause damage so I'll be able to put together a battle scene at last

Unfortunately I don't have an iPad Will

Blog Entries
    Oh ok, I was hoping that such an engine's source would be handy should someone else wanted to make a space fighter simulator. I had thought about making a space sim myself not too long ago, but lack the 3D knowledge to do so competently though I am familiar with OpenGL for 2D and have dabbled with some VERY simple 3D.

Any chance that the game will be ported to Mac as well as Windows?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Trust me, the first iteration of this engine is not a good example for anybody

Mac is unlikely as I don't own one to test with. I'm also using Microsoft VC++ for the new engine components, which may or may not play well with Macs, I've never tried it.

good work
    Last edited by farcodev; 04-01-2011 at 02:30 AM.
    Current (and lifetime) project: FAR Colony
    https://www.farcolony.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123