Hey all,

After about a year of nearly zero game programming activities I've decided to give it a try again. In the past years I've struggled a lot with both engines as well as graphics. I've used engines that are now old or abandoned. I've used my own codebase, which meant a lot of time was spent on things other than the actual game. That is one of the things I'm going to change. I've been in contact with Jarrod Davis of PyroGine‚Ѣ Development and I'm happy to say I will be using his engine for this project.

Regarding graphics, it's an ever present question. Why do that too? Simple, because I like doing it. Plus, unless I pay someone to do the job, chances are it wont get finished. During the past couple of months I have spent quit a bit of time doing 3d modeling, practicing, participating in contests, etc. Hopefully the experience I've built up is going to help.

So, about the game. I've burned myself over and over again by starting something that, in the end, was too big or too complicated. Of course there is always a possibility things get out of hand, but choosing a proper genre may limit that greatly. For this project I'm going back to one of the very first genres: Platform games. Pretty much in the style of the games by Apogee. I have some good memories of them and I've always wanted to recreate that experience.

For the time being, I have no intention of starting a new blog or website. All information regarding this project will be placed here in this thread. If things go well, and I hope they do, I might start a site to organize the material.

Ok, enough talk for now. First stop is designing the main character, a marine. Perhaps a bit of a common character these days, but what can I say, I like sci fi.
Here's a first render. Mind you it's a WIP and thus far from finished.

More to come soon...