Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Unnamed Project

Re: Unnamed Project

I've taken a short brake from the main character to try an idea for the intro / the main menu screen. I want to have a scene where the viewer/player is sort of standing on the edge of a cliff looking into a valley and way in the background another planet or moon can be seen.

Below a first test of such a planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    I've taken a short brake from the main character to try an idea for the intro / the main menu screen. I want to have a scene where the viewer/player is sort of standing on the edge of a cliff looking into a valley and way in the background another planet or moon can be seen.

Below a first test of such a planet.

Wow! Very nice indeed...how did you create it? Using a 3d model and some sort of procedural texturing?

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries

I'm looking forward to trying your game Alex. I think the first platform project I did used your old tutorials as a basis for accurately detecting platforms while jumping. Can't wait to see what other neat ideas you're gonna throw into it.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Thanks

You'd probably laugh when I tell you how it's done. Because it really is quite simple.
    No fancy applications are required, it's all Photoshop. The 'secret' can be found here. Note, the video says CS3 is needed, that's not true, I use PS 7 and it works just as good.

Coolness.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler
    Thanks

You'd probably laugh when I tell you how it's done. Because it really is quite simple.
    No fancy applications are required, it's all Photoshop. The 'secret' can be found here. Note, the video says CS3 is needed, that's not true, I use PS 7 and it works just as good.
    LOL! nice

Thanks for sharing

cheers,
    Paul

Blog Entries

That's so cool. I wouldn't have thought that I could do that with PS7. Nice find man!
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hey all,

It's finally time for a new update

It's been a short while, but for the past couple of days, I've been trying to get my head around this little thing called vectors. Incredibly powerful, yet not so easy to grasp. Well, for me anyway, since it's been at least 10 years since my last math class.

So, why vectors? Well I'm looking into adding slopes to my game. Turns out that's a bit of a tricky thing to do. After reading this tutorial I was not entirely happy with the result. I guess it sort of worked okay but it left me with a lot of 'what if' questions. So I looked further, found this, box2d and finally this. That last one is actually actionscript, but really quite to easy follow.

Below is an image of this demo. With the demo you're able to move Pacman the old fashioned way. It collides with the ground and you're able to jump, like you would see in a standard platformer. The real demo however is the bouncing ball (at random speeds) colliding against sloped ground. I've tried to complete the experience by adding appropriate graphics.
    Next hurdle is to incorporate a controllable character that's actually able to walk on those slopes

Whoa! Impressive. Good work my friend, keep going.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Hey guys,

Here's another project update. I realize it's not much different in terms of how it looks from the previous demo, but rest assured, under the hood, things have changed quite a bit. I'm pretty far into completing the work behind the controllable character (next to his appearance of course ) With this demo you are now able to move any way you like, up and down ramps, jump (or fly as the jump height has been maxed out for now) or fall down.

Enjoy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast