Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delphi is coming to Linux/Mac OS X

Re: Delphi is coming to Linux/Mac OS X

Quote Originally Posted by WILL
    Quote Originally Posted by noeska
    The delphi ide is .net . So with mono it should be possible ... The drawback on that mono supposedly leaks memory ...
    This is not true. There are currently 2 Delphi products (well 3 if you count Delphi for PHP) 'Delphi Prism' is a .NET platform, Delphi aka 'Delphi for Win32' it's self is not, it is Win32 only.
    I think what Noeska meant is that the IDE itself relies partly on .NET, not the language. This is true for versions 2005 and 2006. NOt sure about higher versions.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBow
    The delphi ide is .net . So with mono it should be possible ... The drawback on that mono supposedly leaks memory ...
    This is not true. There are currently 2 Delphi products (well 3 if you count Delphi for PHP) 'Delphi Prism' is a .NET platform, Delphi aka 'Delphi for Win32' it's self is not, it is Win32 only.
    I think what Noeska meant is that the IDE itself relies partly on .NET, not the language. This is true for versions 2005 and 2006. NOt sure about higher versions.
    That is what i meant.
    http://3das.noeska.com - create adventure games without programming

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBow
    That is what i meant.
    You know what, I am not actually 100% sure. I'l have to check on this, but as far as I read, all .NET was removed since the old .NET compiler was dropped for RemObjects' Oxygene compiler and the Win32 compiler was put back on it's own as it should have been.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

The Galileo IDE framework (post Delphi 7) is Win32 but takes advantage of .NET framework services thus you have to have at least .NET 2.0 or higher installed. It and C++ Builder generates x86 binaries for Win32. And yes Delphi is made in Delphi. During one of the CodeRage sessions they where showing how they debug Delphi and was using the developer version to compile and debug the current shipping version at the time. It was wicked to see Delphi inside Delphi and being debugged.

See 10 Top Things Added to Delphi Since Delphi 7 for more info.
    Jarrod Davis
    Technical Director @ Piradyne Games

Blog Entries

Ok well I guess that answers that, but still they put it in there, they can take it out. I'm not too concerned about the .NET aspect of Delphi. I may get it for the Mac when it comes out. We'll see. Then again, I'm still pretty happy with Lazarus.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12