Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nextgen-software rendering

Re: Nextgen-software rendering

New update. I added per-pixel mip-maping. To see how it workds i created 2 demos. One where we can see the mip-map levels, the second with normal drawing. There is a noisy pattern at the mip-map level boundary's. The reason is.. i use the "RCPPS" SSE instruction which is not so precise, as when i use "DIVPS" . Using "DIVPS" i get sharp edges on the mip-map boundary's, but this instruction is more slower then the "RCPPS". But when the mip-map levels are not colored the noisy pattern is not visible. See the no-mip-map-colored demo. waiting for your feedback guys

https://sourceforge.net/projects/phenomenon/

It doesnt matter in which language are you programming. It matter what can you create in this language. I see the future of pascal in Free Pascal - the only free way for the future...

This is what I get when I run the MipMap test:

Code:
    An unhandled exception occurred at $00414078 :
    EAccessViolation : Access violation
     $00414078 TEXTURESAMPLER_BILINEAR, line 207 of gs_textures.inc
     $004019E8 DRAWQUAD, line 107 of test.pas
     $00401BCB TIMERPRC1, line 268 of test.pas
     $004116E2 FE_DOMAINLOOP, line 124 of fenomenon_appwindow.pas
     $00401D91 main, line 329 of test.pas
    And this when I run the MipMap Colored test:

Code:
    An unhandled exception occurred at $004141A8 :
     $004141A8 TEXTURESAMPLER_BILINEAR, line 207 of gs_textures.inc
    The rendering window shows for a sec, then disappears even though it's still displayed as present in taskbar, the whole thing holds for a few seconds and then crashes.

I'm using a Pentium 4 1.9 GHz with SSE2, 512 MiB DDR400 and a integrated Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics card.
    Existence is pain

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777
    This is what I get when I run the MipMap test:

Code:
    An unhandled exception occurred at $00414078 :
     $00414078 TEXTURESAMPLER_BILINEAR, line 207 of gs_textures.inc
    And this when I run the MipMap Colored test:

Code:
    An unhandled exception occurred at $004141A8 :
     $004141A8 TEXTURESAMPLER_BILINEAR, line 207 of gs_textures.inc
    The rendering window shows for a sec, then disappears even though it's still displayed as present in taskbar, the whole thing holds for a few seconds and then crashes.

I'm using a Pentium 4 1.9 GHz with SSE2, 512 MiB DDR400 and a integrated Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics card.
    Its easy to solve the problem. I used some sse3 instructions too. And you have just a sse2 processor. But good news for you. I think i stay in sse2 frame of sse instruction set. The reason is sse3 and sse4 instructions are way slower. I don't why, but it is so. And sse4 are problematic for the compatibility between AMD and INTEL processors. I do now some speed test. And if sse2 is faster then sse3 i upload same demo's but with just sse2 instruction set used
    It doesnt matter in which language are you programming. It matter what can you create in this language. I see the future of pascal in Free Pascal - the only free way for the future...

I tried it on a processor that supports SSE3, a Intel Pentium E2200 (Dual Core). It als has a integrated Intel Card, the 82945G. This time it worked, but nothing showed. The framerate was showing at the console, and there seemed to be a window present in the tab-switch dialog(ALT+TAB), but I could not switch to it or show it. It's the same thing as with arthurprs, but I don't think the window loses focus. It simply disappears moments after being created.

I'll also try this when I get home on some more powerful hardware.
    Existence is pain

I tried it on a processor that supports SSE3, a Intel Pentium E2200 (Dual Core). It als has a integrated Intel Card, the 82945G. This time it worked, but nothing showed. The framerate was showing at the console, and there seemed to be a window present in the tab-switch dialog(ALT+TAB), but I could not switch to it or show it. It's the same thing as with arthurprs, but I don't think the window loses focus. It simply disappears moments after being created.

I'll also try this when I get home on some more powerful hardware.
    But how can the window disappears. For some peoples it worked well. For others is the window a problem. Is in my window-creation procedure a bug? But everytime, when i change the attribute of the window (size, position) i refresh it. Damn.. i don't know... PLS HELP !!!

I changed the procedure SetWindowPos to MoveWindow in fenomenon_appwindow unit. We will see if it helps. For me it works so as before the change.

Ok guys. I fully removed some HADDPS (sse3)and HSUBPS (sse3) from the sampler rutine and added some "standart" ADDPS, SUBPS and PSHUFD and the result is like... WTF !!! The demo runs with the sse3 instructions on 32.89 FPS and now with the sse instructions 33.60. In the normal logic should be the sse3 instructions faster but ... they are slower. So yes... its true.. Better use some sse2 and lower version of sse instructions as the instructions from the higher versions. But still its good to use some benchmarks. I am surprised of the result. But i was reading similar messages about the speed of new sse instructions in other forums, so the surrprise was not so big. But i am not sure about the speed on new processor. As i said... better use a benchmark.

Ok. I've tried it on my personal computer at home, which is an Athlon II X2 240 (2.8 GHz, supports up to SSE4) with a Radeon HD4850. I downloaded your tests again, and tried to run them. Same thing happens, they run but nothing is shown. Since I use Windows 7 I noticed that the rendering shows in the preview when I hold my mouse over your program in the taskbar. The window is there, and can be focused. However, it is not shown on screen for some reason. Also, trying to minimize everything (WIN+M) makes the program crash. I've tried disabling Aero and closing every program I have, but with no success.
    Existence is pain

Ok. I've tried it on my personal computer at home, which is an Athlon II X2 240 (2.8 GHz, supports up to SSE4) with a Radeon HD4850. I downloaded your tests again, and tried to run them. Same thing happens, they run but nothing is shown. Since I use Windows 7 I noticed that the rendering shows in the preview when I hold my mouse over your program in the taskbar. The window is there, and can be focused. However, it is not shown on screen for some reason. Also, trying to minimize everything (WIN+M) makes the program crash. I've tried disabling Aero and closing every program I have, but with no success.
    same here

Quote Originally Posted by arthurprs
    not sure why, but doen't work for me, i can see the console window printing the fps (25 in my notebook with a hd4200 gpu), but not the renderer window
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

arthurprs are you using Windows 7 too like de_jean_7777. If yes, then i think win 7 is incompatible with directdraw. Guys can you test some directdraw applications on win 7 ? If they works. then the problem is in my program. If they don't work, then the problem is, as i said, the incompatibilitu of win7 to direct draw (then will i begin to use GDI, or OPENGL as draw-surface-flippers) . i think... for win7 is there new api for 2d draw.. i think direct2d or so. I am not sure. Check if win7 have got some compatibility options like WinXP for win95, win98... Run my program in some compatibility mode. Pls guys make this test's and give me the results. Thnx in forward. Oh... i almost forgot.. I use WinXP.

Closing the draw-window will result lost of the direct draw surface, so my program can't write to this surface. This is the reason why the program crash. And the long start is caused with the bad optimized mip-map creator

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast