Hi mikade,

Now you've delurked so to speak, I'll start off with one of my posts about google :-)

You're looking for "Indy" in relation to "Delphi"... drop the search +"Indy" +"Delphi" into google and see what you get back.

Onto the subject of network in Pascal =

I would tend to disagree... it can be a real pain in the ass, but overall, it's not too complicated. Deciding what you want to send and when can be the trickiest part... too much data and the connection can get bogged down... too little and clients can get out of sync. Choice of protocol has a variety of impacts... UDP is not a guaranteed delivery mechanism whereas TCP is because TCP establishes a connection from client to server... UDP on the other hand just creates a packet and pushes it out onto the network.

My recommendation would be that you use Indy 9 as a starting point. There are a good range of demonstrations for it and the documentation is pretty much complete. Indy 9 is also Linux compatible btw, if you used Kylix.

If you want to get something working quickly, without too much hassle, one option you have for comms is to use classes that are descendants of TPersistent (IIRC) as this class provides mechanisms for streaming it's published properties allowing you to simply stream an object across the socket connection.

As I say, I would recommend you look at Indy 9 first, and have a look at the various demos. The one which may be of most interest to you is a simple chat server and client (IIRC - It's been a while since I looked).

Hope this helps get you kick started :-)