Thread: The move to vBulletin Update

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The move to vBulletin Update

Quote Originally Posted by Nao
    Same here. I've been offering blogs for users (with admin panel and stuff) at http://noisen.com for the last 3 years. It's using custom code, but I'm working on a mod for doing that, and there are already plenty of blog mods for SMF.

I'm sorry, it's just that I don't understand your reason for moving to another forum software, paid-for at that, instead of trying out SMF2, which is stable enough in my opinion. (I've been using it ever since I opened noisen.com)
    I could understand a move to IPB, which is relatively nice, or the free PunBB, which is faster on slow servers (and yours looks like it's a very slow server, or at least a slow connection to France).

Interestingly, I spent some time at SMF developing the software (so I have knowledge in both SMF and Pascal game development), and I can tell you that SMF is to forum software what Delphi is to programming, whereas vBulletin would, fittingly, be Visual Basic (it started out as a forum for VB devs), IPB would be C++ and phpBB would be Fortran.
    I'm now working on a side-project that should hopefully get SMF up to speed in terms of feature set (compared to the commercial competition) on the day SMF2 gets out. Consider it a super-mod that implements everything that should be in a modern forum system -- for free.

Just my two cents. Don't switch until you've at least tried SMF2 RC3 (or the upcoming final RC.)
    The thing is, as we've said time and time again.... we (the admins) are all pretty busy and building a site with all that functionality requires us to install numerous mods. This raises issues relating to setup time and maintenance. All too often when you're using mods, you have to wait on upgrading the core site software until all the mods are compatible. This is a problem. It also takes a lot longer than just updating one all encompassing suite of software like vBulletin.

We want to simplify site maintenance so we can spend more time doing interesting things for the site, like writing articles etc.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

How can I donate?
    Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Ok, I restate the question:
    How can I donate other way than PayPal?
    Theory is - when you know everything but nothing works.
    Practice is - when all works, but you don't know why.
    We combine theory and practice - nothing works and nobody knows why

Not sure if that is possible. I just used Paypal. You should PM WILL and ask for alternatives.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    Hi Darthman, I'm glad you want to donate, every little bit helps. Every big bit helps too.

The account that takes donations for PGD and Pascal Gamer Magazine is held by PayPal so all means of donating money electronically is done by PayPal. I've been told that specific regions have a hard time with PayPal due to policies or availability. This is unfortunate, because the main reason for using the PayPal service is to be able to record, track and manage all donations paperlessly. It would be too much to retain records for legal reasons should any of these were to be on paper only. And yes, I do keep very good records of every donation and transaction of expenses.

If you want to see just about every way to donate to a PayPal account, you can go to www.paypal.com and read what options they give you.

At one time we had merchandise that we were selling through an online storefront (Cafe Press) with PGD logos and such, but it wasn't a huge success. This is something we could start back up should the interest re-spark.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I am not very happy with vbulletin upgrade, or mostly the theme.

The forum and topic graphics - icons and colors are now super-unclear on indicating what is new and what was already read.

Also there's still too many forum sections, i said this around 5 years ago.. there's forum sections with like 30 threads total and last updated earlier than 2010.. In essence the forum still looks like a mess

Edit:
    I think there's better and more functional free forums such as PHPBB V3, there's no real reason to use vBulletin.

Also.. [pascal] [/pascal] doesn't work..
    Last edited by JernejL; 20-02-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager