Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The move to vBulletin Update

Blog Entries
    The [pascal] BBCode tags were just a mod that we used when running under phpBB, we don't plan on modifying any of the site software's code as it impedes updates and site stability. The [code] tags work just as well however.

One of the nice things about vBulletin compared to phpBB or SMF for example is that you can collapse and expand sections of the Forums so you don't have to see everything at once. Should you close your browser and revisit PGD, you'll notice that the forums will stay organized as you left them. Also What's New is the new 'Posts since last visit'. It also includes News Post comments too.

If you are really keen, you can use an RSS Feed reader to read all the latest forums posts if you like.

As for the formatting tool bar, there is the simple one if you hit quick reply, but if you want more advanced options you should select 'Go Advanced' instead and you can do more to format your post content. Including uploading images and files that will not get lost by referencing external hosting services.

No one likes things to change all the time, but I'm sure you will see that the site now out performs the old one and has many more clean features than any of the previous versions of the site.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I've said before that I don't care one way or the other, as long as it is usable and readable without too much hassle or eyestrain.

That said, don't bother comparing forum features/performance between phpBB, SMF, vB, etc. They all have pretty much the same featureset and performance within a percentage point or two. I've run most of the "popular" ones at one point or another for various forums, and the differences are almost too small to worry over. The important thing is to choose the one you feel more comfortable with, and stick with it.

What I would like to have is a main index display mode which, by default, collapses everything that has no new posts. I know there is the "new posts" link, but meh. Just would like for it to come up with that by default.

Yeah, the RSS reader helps, but I don't really use it all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    As for the formatting tool bar, there is the simple one if you hit quick reply, but if you want more advanced options you should select 'Go Advanced' instead and you can do more to format your post content. Including uploading images and files that will not get lost by referencing external hosting services.
    Sometimes i WANT to embed a picture or a link or format text, there is none of those options in "go advanced".....
    This is my game project - Top Down City:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...y-Topic-Reboot

My OpenAL audio wrapper with Intelligent Source Manager to use unlimited:
    http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...source+manager

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Delfi View Post
    Sometimes i WANT to embed a picture or a link or format text, there is none of those options in "go advanced".....
    Actually you don't need to go to advanced to upload an image. You have to upload it from your computer to be able to format it later. You cannot upload the image from a foreign URL. I think that might be the problem.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Quote Originally Posted by WILL View Post
    Actually you don't need to go to advanced to upload an image. You have to upload it from your computer to be able to format it later. You cannot upload the image from a foreign URL. I think that might be the problem.
    I get the feeling that you are intentionally not looking at the issue i pointed out.

I don't want to upload images. i want formatting toolbar in "go advanced" / "post topic"

Let me visualize: The formatting toolbar is MISSING THERE:

Blog Entries
    I think I understand what the problem is. Check out this thread where Christina explains how to set your editor preference. The screenshot helps too btw.

http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...-Configuration

Unfortunately we were not able to batch set this option for each exiting member when we converted all the accounts over to the new site. However once you set it to the WYSIWYG Editor you'll have your formatting options and the ability to upload images and post YouTube videos and the like.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I get the feeling that you are intentionally not looking at the issue i pointed out.
    This is not to judge you, but it's something I've learned along the way and feel I need to share:
    I find that of about half the time I accuse people when I think they are wrong, they usually are not. This is mostly the case when I only see half the picture. Always double check. And if you're not 100% sure, only tell what you see or what you think is the case. Never tell people they are wrong, because in the end it makes you look bad, when they aren't.

This is a pretty stupid change on vbulletin's part. i have not yet seen a vbulletin ever configuired in such a manner.

Traveler: all i wanted was a solution, to me it looked like a issue with the forum theme, so i reported this as i saw it. I see nothing unusual / wrong with that.

PGD Community Manager AthenaOfDelphi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is a pretty stupid change on vbulletin's part. i have not yet seen a vbulletin ever configuired in such a manner.
    This issue should only affect those users imported from the existing forum database. As WILL pointed out, at the time, I couldn't find a quick way of fixing it for everyone other than post instructions as to how to select the required editor, hence nothing has been done about it. I'm sure I can fix it for everyone, but I've been really busy with work and studies and so minor issues like that have taken a back seat.
    :: AthenaOfDelphi :: My Blog :: My Software ::

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123