Thread: The Probe

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_nicholls View Post
    With regards to the cursor issue, did you want me to make the cursor appear in the menu at all times, but not in-game?
    Yes that's the idea. I do know that if you target other platforms it isn't posible to use cursor on all of them but when we talk about PC's having a mouse cursor is almost standard. You do know that for end user it is much easier to use mouse for executing menu actions than scroling through all menu items to get to the one you want.

And I don't hate disapering mouse cursor becouse this way I need to scrool trough the menu but I do hate it becouse in some cases knowing where the mouse cursor is very helpful. For instance let's say that your game has some bug and fires Access Violation Message. If you want to close that message you need to click on OK button of that message. So if youd don't know where the cursor is you will have hard time moving it into the Message Window to actually clik on OK button. Yes in most ocasions pressing Enter or space would have same effect but not always.
    Once I even had a development version of some game wich was using the worst posible example for hiding cursor. The game actualy changed systemwide seting for default mouse cursor to use a cursor template where all posible pictures of cursor were just blank. So when the game crashed I ended up with Windows wich had no visible mouse cursor, even after the system restart. Luckly I quickly figured out why and fix it (I can do any operation in Windows without even using a mouse, but it does takes more time).
    So that's why I try to avoid hiding mouse cursor until it is compleetly neccesary. In one off my currently discarded projects (it is discarded becouse of lack off neccesary knowledge) I even wrote a rutine wich took care that mouse cursor always showed if some exception was fired. The only drawback was that my rutine didn't notify me off what exception was fired in the first place. This was some time ago when my programing skils were a lot weaker. Today I would probably write it in a different way but stil geting the same effect.
    Last edited by SilverWarior; 15-12-2011 at 02:02 AM.