Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would YOU like to see?

Blog Entries

What would YOU like to see?

BlueCat's idea: Hmm... DelphiDeveloperChat... has specific features for sharing code in real time...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries

Eriken asked the following in the Articals, etc thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Eriken
    Speaking about Tutorials and Articles... The idea came up to have some scouts around to look for articles/tutorials elsewhere and check if we can use them, because I think there is enough to do without actually having to reinvent the wheel everytime..

There is probably also Delphi-sites in German, Dutch, etc which have great articles.. and if we get a permission from the owners to translate them to English those would be quite an asset too.

Well, it was an idea atleast..

(And now I've stepped right into Will's big question so now I'll get shot )
    Well I didn't shoot him, but he has some rather good ideas here. I can't recall in the past how many French, German or other type tutorials on DelphiX or other things that I've wanted to read in the past, but just don't know the language. And there ARE some really good tutorials out there.

Problem is though that simply linking to another site and not hosting a copy on our own server might mean having to remove it at any point in time because the author lost the site and it was abandoned... Also we don't want to just plop a whole handfull of posted tutorials on the front page(covering the ones specifically written for the new site) so we'd either have to add them to the tutorials section of the site, but not have them featured on the front page(we can announce the addition them on the tutorials page instead?). Ah... details to be worked out durring the meeting, i guess.

Very workable idea however...
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Hmmm some basic tuts aren't that hard to remake ... I mean the basis of delphiX i.e. is rather simple to describe in a tut ... and it wouldn't bother me to rewrite these tuts i've already written plenties of times ^^.

A good advantage of this is that if we want to create a serie of tuts about DelphiX (with a goal like building a small space shooter or anything like that) we could have some continuity between the different articles .

Blog Entries

I know, A break in the lull thats going on! LOL, I guess everyone is busy with work or school, family(quite a few family guys here aren't there?), etc...

I dunno, maybe I'm just currious as to why all quite all of a sudden. We had a good momentum going for a while then the weekend, then dead...

Anyhow... thought I try to grab someones attention. So if you are just visiting and reading post already.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

My quietness is me trying to work out how everything we did is going to affect the things we currently have.

I'm not sure I have an idea of whats expected from me next......

Also this W32.Blaster worm has wreaked havok at work.
    William Cairns
    My Games: http://www.cairnsgames.co.za (Currently very inactive)
    MyOnline Games: http://TheGameDeveloper.co.za (Currently very inactive)

Tutorials are a great idea to have on any delphi site. However, all the talk that I've seen about them have been about DelphiX and OpenGL and all of the other add-ons and advanced components. This is great for people who have advanced to that point, but for the rest of us (who struggle just getting through the basic components that come standard with delphi), it's all pretty pointless.

My suggestion is explaining the pros/cons general uses and how tos for those components and functions. I've only found 2 or 3 sites that do this, while every site has tutuorials on the more advanced aspects of programming in delphi.

I don't think it would be too difficult for most of you to knock up a few paragraphs on StringGrids or explain what the Length() function is best used for.

I know the delphi help does most of this, but usually it's not very helpful unless you've already grasped the advanced convepts. I'd be nice if someone would explain things like a high school teacher instead of some sort of robot.

Anyway, that's just my suggestion.
    Why are toasters created with a setting that burns the bread to a crisp no sane person could eat?
    <br />Who said Humpty Dumpty was an egg?
    <br />Why are there no 'B' sized batteries?
    <br />Why don't you ever see baby seagulls?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12