Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Multithreaded resource loading

Hey is this a Windows demo? If you provide me with a Snow Leopard compatible demo I'd gladly run it on my, almost newest, iMac (has an Intel Core i7 with a ATI Radeon HD 4850) for you.
    Oh, it will be interesting to test it on real Mac Tonight I will build a Mac demo.

Are you doing this with Lazarus? It has lazOpenGLContext package which works same time on most operating systems.

Quote Originally Posted by User137
    Are you doing this with Lazarus? It has lazOpenGLContext package which works same time on most operating systems.
    Nope, I use my own code(that can be compiled by FreePascal and Delphi(7-2010, Win32 only)). Maybe some time later I will present my library with examples here

Cool stuff! programs seems to work ok here. I experimented with this a while back see we use the same approach. You can not only load textures this way but also geometry into VBO/DPL, load and compile shader programs or any other OpenGL resource for that matter.

To bad that this approach requires a context switch I made a small grid bassed world system that would automaticly stream in new models/textures when needed but the switching of contexts gave me pretty large framedrops. Hope that OGL 4.X wil have a solution for this like DX10 and DX11.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuk van Venrooij
    To bad that this approach requires a context switch
    I switch context only one time - for creating second context. After that all threads working without switching and waiting

WILL
    Here the MacOS X version of demo compiled under MacOS X 10.6.3
    Last edited by Andru; 04-10-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloaded! I'll get back to you once I have time to run it after work. I'm running 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard) so it should be compatible I'm sure.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

I tried your demo and it works. I assume that the music stopping when switching to different windows is intentional?

My PC is:
    CPU: Athlon II X2 240
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB
    Existence is pain

Quote Originally Posted by de_jean_7777
    I assume that the music stopping when switching to different windows is intentional?
    Yes, and it must continue playing after returning the focus to demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Yes, and it must continue playing after returning the focus to demo.
    It continues playing.

I also tried it on another PC, at my work.
    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual E2200
    GPU: Intel 82945G (i945G) integrated

It worked on that PC too. If it works on the Intel card with shoddy OpenGL drivers, it should work anywhere.
    Existence is pain

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast