Thread: MP3 playback for Prometheus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

MP3 playback for Prometheus

I know that this is a bit off topic, but Andru, what do you use for playing audio? I'm wondering since I can't find a true cross-platform library capable of playing .mp3 files for the Prometheus_Audio unit. I got sdl_mixer working, but it uses around 46mb of ram top play a 3 minute .ogg file, and refuse to play an mp3 through a channel and inists it must be via the bgmusic (which isnt much use as I want support for pllaying multiple files at once...)

Sorry for the off topic post, but I just felt this was the fastest way to ask.

cheers,
    code_glitch

ps. If any admins feel this is out of place, please say so and I will move this post to a separate thread.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

code_glitch
    Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch
    what do you use for playing audio?
    OpenAL and ogg libraries. Also I use DirectSound for Windows. All source source code of my library you can grab from svn here and try to understand how my sound subsystem works If you want, I can try to add mp3 support through libmad.
    Last edited by WILL; 09-10-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Moved portion of post here to allow continuation of conversation.

Blog Entries
    Thats ok. I've dug up the Bass library, which can be compiled on linux, mac and windows, so its got the bases covered. Also its small and handles just about any file format you throw at it. But dont get me wrong, I still have an interest in any library that is cross platform, GPL and play's mp3 files. (the mp3 part there for compatibility's sake)

cheers,
    code_glitch.
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

You can try mpg123 as the decoder, i have converted the headers for the dll some time ago.
    But i think you should stick with BASS or something free like OGG + OpenAL
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Blog Entries
    I'm more so for completely free options than Bass myself. Bass is great for freeware games, which any beginner would be doing, however as development gets more serious and beginners become novices, this choice in mp3 playback may scare away potential continuing usage of the game library once all the basics have been learned.

Even as beginners, us independent developers let our heads get big at the start. We all want to be able to release the next big thing and small things like shareware license fees can seem like large limitations so we will seek out newer alternatives. That's kind of what it was like in the days of DelphiX before 3D hardware acceleration was put in. Other game libraries were first spawned because of this missing feature.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Also, there is a LGPL alternative for BASS http://audiere.sourceforge.net/
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!