Thread: Musicality - Quick progress report

Blog Entries

Smile Musicality - Quick progress report

So far I have a main menu that works, a game mode which has the basics up (score, song name and etc...) And a loader to load all the files for the song which are:
    1 Index file
    1 Audio file for each track (6 in total)
    1 csv of note positions for each track (6 in total)

and all of the above seem to be working. The architecture will need updating however, as the game slows down when frame rate drops. Also, is 600mhz/thread an OK system requirement? Or should I increase efficiency? Running in 640x480 @ 32bpp and I reach around 30fps at 600mhz...

cheers,
    code_glitch.

EDIT:
    OH, almost forgot, for each track is a note image too...
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Blog Entries
    640x480? lol who uses that screen res anymore?
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder

Blog Entries
    Its windowed for now. Might make it fullscreen with a dialog to choose. Need to update video code first though... But I agree, its funny how its a resolution we hardly ever use anymore in the 21st century; age of HD and HDMI and DVI and the list goes on... good ol VGA
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by code_glitch View Post
    The architecture will need updating however, as the game slows down when frame rate drops. Also, is 600mhz/thread an OK system requirement? Or should I increase efficiency? Running in 640x480 @ 32bpp and I reach around 30fps at 600mhz...
    Are you still using a 600Mhz CPU? An average system these days has at least a 1.5 Ghz CPU, so you shouldn't worry about that. Also, you could aswell use a 1024x768 resolution because 99% of the computers today can handle that too.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    I don use a 600mhz cpu, but I cap my threads to 700mhz to avoid lockups. (I use a 1.3ghz SU4100 (c)ulv processor) and it uses around 30% wich is 30% of 700mhz. It peaks at 48 so its safe to say it should run pretty smooth on 600mhz. Also, 1024x768 bumps the framerate right down (glitch in prometheus_vid I'm working on).

So at this stage, thats where I'm at. Should be going ahead soon though.

Might want to reconsider that name

@code_glitch: Congratulations on getting something up and running, and good luck to you. I have an application named Musicality (over here: http://industriousone.com/musicality). I'm not really concerned about the duplication, and you're perfectly free to continue using the name. I wanted to mention that, in hindsight, it just isn't a particularly good name.

Assuming that you make any real progress, at some point you're going to want to start monitoring web mentions of your project, and then you'll find that you have to wade through pages of posts about the latest American Idol or Dancing With The Stars or somesuch. Search Twitter for "Musicality" to see what I mean.

It is better, I know now, to have a semi-unique name that you can easily pick out of search results.

My $0.02.

Blog Entries
    Ah. Erm well, then I guess I better find a new name...

thanks for the headsup starkos.