Thread: MP3 playback for Prometheus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Also, there is a LGPL alternative for BASS http://audiere.sourceforge.net/
    From brazil (:

Pascal pownz!

Blog Entries
    could anyone suggest a good tutorial.example of how to use mpg123 or OpenAl?
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

I believe Noeska had a tutorial, but I can't find it anymore.

Edit: Maybe you'll find this interesting: http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ghlight=mpg123
    Last edited by chronozphere; 11-10-2010 at 07:18 AM.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    In terms of help, I much appreciate the above. I've thought it over and I think I am going to go with the support ogg and wav and all formats that are GPL-Happy and include a tool to convert .mp3 and other proprietary formats. Thanks for all the help, I think I have plenty more work to do on the Audio unit until the next release.

cheers,
    code_glitch
    I once tried to change the world. But they wouldn't give me the source code. Damned evil cunning.

Quote Originally Posted by chronozphere View Post
    I believe Noeska had a tutorial, but I can't find it anymore.
    Just go here:
    http://www.noeska.com/doal/

and follow the tutorial links...

cheers,
    Paul

I know where to find Noeska's tutorials. I just recall that there was one covering MP3 playback, but I can't find that one.
    Coders rule nr 1: Face ur bugz.. dont cage them with code, kill'em with ur cursor.

Blog Entries
    'Noeska's tutorials' - I'm getting a lot of these as responses. However, there is one thing I inherently dislike: I've never, like ever, worked with lazarus or delphi... This is rather quite problematic when trying to understand a concept I don't understand at all. Even with the comments and etc. It's making life veeeery difficult. Especially when my only experience with that sort of application development is with Visual Basic.Net 2010 Beta (which I hate and dont use any more)... Apart from that, the new Prometheus_Audio based on (oh hell) OpenAl is now only capable of playing WAV. Lets hope you don't need better compression on audio files.

Anyway, until I figure this mess of Delphi, Lazarus, C and C++ code along with the vorbis and ogg stuff, prometheus is a bit dead in the water. But hey, I might've seen worse.

cheers,
    code_glitch

Blog Entries
    So you've only ever used Free Pascal standalone? Man, that's hardcore.

Well only playing in WAVE format doesn't kill the library, it just means that only part of it is implemented so far. Most people may want to use the compressed formats for music or voice files that are much longer and obviously take up more space, however simple sound effects can be stored with only PCM compression without it really hurting the size much.

Actually I found Noeska's MP3 example post by searching Google, and guess what? Google found it here on PGD. http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com...ll=1#post40178 Download still works so give it a try if you want to include MP3 support. Or just use it to include in your converter tool.
    Jason McMillen
    Pascal Game Development
    Co-Founder